Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Senior Member Bottle Master
    Harry,

If hit by a probe as you suggest, I would say more like bad luck than over-enthusisam. If you've run a probe, you know that even with the gentlest of touch, that style of bottle will not hold up to any level of probe contact.

Quote Originally Posted by hemihampton View Post
    Here's a example of a similar one I found with a graphite or iron pontil bottom. Usually a reddish or grayish color on bottom. The open pontil no color just a small round rough looking hole. LEON.Attachment 184977Attachment 184978
    Thanks very much for the info, Leon. There isn't anything like that on my bottle.
    I came across an Old Sachem Bitters bottle mold while researching my bottle and thought I would share it here for anyone who might be interested.
    Hope that's okay.
    You can see an example of the mold here-
    http://www.philamuseum.org/collections/permanent/50524.html

Senior Member Bottle Master Harry Pristis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nhpharm View Post
    Harry,

If hit by a probe as you suggest, I would say more like bad luck than over-enthusisam. If you've run a probe, you know that even with the gentlest of touch, that style of bottle will not hold up to any level of probe contact.

Yes, I have done a fair bit of probing. Never had the too-common experience of piercing a bottle though. And, unless YOU are the prober, how do you know this damage was a result of bad luck and not over-exertion? It seems to me that you are assuming facts that are not in evidence, while I relied on the observable damage.

Senior Member Bottle Master hemihampton's Avatar
    I usually go slow with the Probe & come to a stop when I seem to hit a bottle. But sometimes your just hitting a Rock or a Brick & it can be difficult to tell the differance sometimes. LEON.

Senior Member Bottle Master Harry Pristis's Avatar
    I usually go slow with the Probe & come to a stop when I seem to hit a bottle. But sometimes your just hitting a Rock or a Brick & it can be difficult to tell the differance sometimes. LEON.

I agree, Leon, that distinguishing between brick and glass bottle and window glass is a learned skill. Some probers will be better than others at that skill. Experience makes a difference in "reading" the probe.

Senior Member Bottle Finder
    That puce color is nice. Damaged or not, it would look great in a shape/color window display.

Senior Member Bottle Master hemihampton's Avatar
    Are you sure it's Puce, thought it looked amber & maybe the light artificially effecting color? LEON.

Senior Member Bottle Finder
    Are you sure it's Puce, thought it looked amber & maybe the light artificially effecting color? LEON.
    Yup, you're right. Amber looks right. Amazing how it looks after I came back and looked at it again. Maybe my monitor was toning on me. Or maybe a trip to my ophthalmologist is in order.