Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Bottle Master iggyworf's Avatar

7up 3-1-3 bubble bottle!

Just last week I got another 7up '3-1-3' bubble pattern bottle. Awhile back I posted one I got with this strange 7 bubble pattern. This one is in better condition than my other one. But a little quirky as it has a slight misprint adding to the allure of it. We could not figure out why this pattern was used, but I can now add that both are from Los Angeles bottling co.. I have seen wooden crates from this plant also with the 3-1-3 pattern( and strangley also from Barrington RI) And just one other bottle from San Bernidino Ca. Also in Bakersfield CA, but no bottles yet from there just the actual bottling plant with larges signs that display the 3-1-3 pattern.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7up 3 1 3 bubble #2 f b.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	47.8 KB 
ID:	184973

Both of my bottles are also 6 1/2 oz not the typical 7oz. both have the same markings on the bottom and both from 1941.

Name:	7up 3 1 3 bubble #1 & 2 bottom 2 .jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	55.4 KB 
ID:	184974

My second one has those two slots cut into the bottom, maybe to keep it lined up for acl printing?

Name:	7up 3 1 3 bubble #1 & 2.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	44.1 KB 
ID:	184975

Here are both bottles side by side.

Here is a link to the other post.

https://www.antique-bottles.net/show...bubble+pattern

Thanx for lookin!

I just noticed also that the 'U' & 'P' are more squared off than on other 7up bottles.
    Last edited by iggyworf; 10-15-2018 at 06:37 AM.

Adding a match book to the 3-1-3 story!

Name:	s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	40.8 KB 
ID:	184976

Member New Bottler
    Very nice bottles. Especially the one on the right. It's very odd that they are only 6 1/2 ounces!

Senior Member Bottle Master Canadacan's Avatar
    Hey congrats on the bottle!...very interesting indeed.
    Collecting Western Canadian sodas, and USA Orange Crush.

Cool bottles iggy, I have never seen that variation of 7up. The 3-1-3 pattern and a 6 1/2 ounce! Thanks for sharing

Thanx everyone! I wish we could figure out why the did that variation.

Senior Member Bottle Finder Screwtop's Avatar
    7-up! I like it!

Senior Member Bottle Master SODABOB's Avatar
    Su·per·ca·li·fra·gil·is·tic·ex·pi·a·li·do·cious ... or what I call a 2-3-2-2-3-3-2-3-2-2-1-2-2-5

Maybe I can find something to explain it - but don't hold your breath - I've been-there-done-that before and didn't find anything!

Thanx Bob! Yeah I know we tried.

Senior Member Bottle Master SODABOB's Avatar
    iggy/Rich

I hope no one was holding their breath because I didn't find out much more about the 3-1-3 labels other than what we already knew. I re-read the previous thread and the general consensus seems to be that the 3-1-3 labels were some type test market experiment. That may be the reason behind it, but I'm having some doubts about that. Here's why I say that ...

If it was a test market experiment ...

1. Why monkey around with tiny bubbles and not something more noticeable?
    2. How many consumers would even notice the bubble placement?
    3. If they did notice, would they really care enough to comment about it to a retailer or bottler?
    4. If they did care, what would they say?
    5. Etc; etc.

Or ...

6. Maybe the parent company knew that most consumers wouldn't notice the bubble placement and that in itself was the test - to see if anyone really paid that much attention to labels. And if no one, or only a select few, did notice, and did comment about it, maybe it was enough to tell the parent company not to mess around with something that no one really cared about anyway.

Or ...

7. Maybe it had nothing to do with a test market experiment whatsoever and it was simply a case where the west coast bottlers wanted something slightly different and special ordered them with the 3-1-3 bubble placement for no other reason than to just be "different"

Or ...

8. Because most if not all of them came from the Owens-Illinois plant number 23 (Los Angeles) maybe it was an "inside job" or a so called "night shift job" that involved some goof-offs

Or ...

9. Because ACL applications require a SILKSCREEN, maybe it was just a simple case of a silkscreen maker (most glass factories made their own silkscreens) who goofed-up when he made the silkscreen and ...

1. They produced a ton of bottles before anyone noticed the goofed-up silkscreen

2. They noticed the goofed-up silkscreen but produced a ton of bottles anyway until the silkscreen wore out

In other words, take your pick of reasons. Unless someone with the Owens-Illinois Company knows something that we don't, the odds are that it will remain a mystery.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Sodabob