7up 3-1-3 bubble bottle!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODABOB

Reaction score
P.S. ~ P.S.

We need to double-check and see if any of the double-digit numbers on the Los Angeles cases are lower than 55

SODABOB

Reaction score
New Clue (Sort of) ...

When they were located in Minneapolis, Minnesota they went by the name ...

Flour City Wooden Box Inc.

Last edited:

SODABOB

Reaction score
I double-checked the original thread and the earliest Los Angeles (or any other) crate pictured is marked with ...

6-59

But it doesn't mention anything about Sturdy Bilt or who else might have made it. ???

SODABOB

Reaction score
More Clues or More Confusion?

Both of these crates are currently on eBay and both are described with "Sturdy Bilt" But neither one mentions a specific bottler or location

Clicquot Club- Sturdy Bilt - Flour City Wooden Box Inc Marked with what appears to be 2-65

Note: I'll stake my reputation on it that the Clicquot Club crate was not made in 1965! (See attachments)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-antique-...h=item541c2feaf7:g:0z8AAOSwPhdVBJuM:rk:2:pf:0

Orange Crush - Sturdy Bilt - Jonesboro, Arkansas - Marked with 2-67

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Vinta...h=item33f89626a4:g:Yt4AAOSwNexb266d:rk:1:pf:0

Sturdy Bilt Cliquot  Club Flower City End Panel.jpg

Sturdy Bilt Cliquot  Club Flower City (1).jpg

Sturdy Bilt Cliquot  Club Flower City (2).jpg

Orange Crush 2-67 ( 67 for 1967? - Could be?) )

Sturdy Bilt Orange Crush 2 67 (3).jpg

Sturdy Bilt Orange Crush 2 67 (2).jpg

Last edited:

SODABOB

Reaction score
Okay, here goes! But please bear with me because this might be a little confusing!

This article is from ...

[ The Minneapolis Star ~ May 23, 1963 ]

It states that Frank Blindman started all three of these companies, although the names were slightly different. Two of the dates are mentioned in the article, but one just says "early 1940s" - But what's weird is that none of them mention the words "Sturdy Bilt" - Although we have already seen that "Sturdy Bilt" was used in connection with the Southern Wooden Box Co. on the Jonesboro, Arkansas 2-67 Orange Crush crate that I posted earlier. Anyway, here's what I make of the locations and dates for the three companies ...

1. 1913* ~ Flour City Wooden Box Inc. ~ Minneapolis, Minnesota

*Based on the article being dated 1963 and that it says "marking his 50th year in business" - 1963 minus 50 equals 1913

2. Early 1940s ~ Waterloo, Iowa ? (Not sure) ? ( Relocation in Minneapolis ) ? ( Pre-1951) ?

3. 1951 ~ Southern Wooden Box Co. ~ Jonesboro, Arkansas

Footnote: But just how this might fit in with the various 7up crates from California, I haven't figured out yet. Maybe someone can find something I missed. HELP! :confused:

The_Minneapolis_Star_Thu__May_23__1963_.jpg

Last edited:

SODABOB

Reaction score
P.S.

Suggestion ...

Now we need to take another, closer look at the Los Angeles and other California 7up crates and see if we can find any with one of the three names mentioned above on them. Or possibly just "Sturdy Bilt" which I'm confident is directly related to the three Blindman companies. (Maybe ? )

SODABOB

Reaction score
Gee - that didn't take long! I found one! - But even though it was described as being dated 1969, it didn't say where they came up with the date. Although I suspect it was stamped somewhere inside. You can see part of the "Sturdy Bilt" in the back of the crate. But whether it has a 6-69 or some other reference for 1969, I dunno! No numbers are stamped on the end like the other Los Angeles 3-1-3 crates we've seen.

However, there's no question that it has ...

1. Los Angeles

2. Sturdy Bilt

3. 3-1-3 bubble placement

7up Crate Sturdy Bilt Los Angeles 1969 (1).jpg

7up Crate Sturdy Bilt Los Angeles 1969 (2).jpg

SODABOB

Reaction score
I have found a ton of "Sturdy Built" soda bottle crates but all I can tell you at this juncture is that they definitely used single-digit numbers with a dash followed by a two-digit number. The example pictured here is on a Squirt crate and marked 6-64 - But other than that, I don't know what the numbers represent. This is the only "Sturdy Bilt" crate I have found so far that has the number 6 - Hence, I don't think the number 6 is specific to 7up, but it might represent California. Or something else all together. ???

Sturdy Bilt Squirt 6 64 Inside.jpg

I still have a lot more "Sturdy Bilt" crates to look at, but here is a sampling of what I have seen so far and how they were marked. Most of them did not have a specific bottler or location on them. I don't think the first numbers are factory numbers because there are too many of them. Apparently they only had three factories; Minneapolis, Minnesota ( two different Minneapolis locations - but same city - they relocated once) - Plus Waterloo, Iowa - And Jonesboro, Arkansas

Clicquot Club = 2-65
Pepsi Cola = 8-55 12-60
Orange Crush = 4-57 2-67
Coca Cola = 2-64 12-58 9-64 1-69
Nesbitt's = 9-70

Last edited:

SODABOB

Reaction score
Hey, iggy/Rich

I hope you don't mind my bombardment of post, but you know me when I'm on the trail of something. Its way to early to confirm anything, but I'm leaning toward ...

1. The 3-1-3 7up crates were made by "Sturdy Bilt"

2. The 6 represents "California"
3. The two-digit numbers represent ? (Dates ? )

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karjes18