7up 3-1-3 bubble bottle!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODABOB

Reaction score
P.S.

If I had to choose one of the above, I'd choose number 9. because no matter what other explanation there might be, the silkscreen was where the change took place. But who changed the silkscreen and why just takes us back to question number 1. and we end up going in circles. :confused:

SODABOB

Reaction score
P.S ~ P.S.

I did some additional research and discovered that a single bottle silkscreen could typically produce about 40 Gross of ACL bottle labels - with a gross count being 144. Thus, 144 times 40 = 5,760. If this information is accurate as I believe it is, then it was possible that the 3-1-3 silkscreen could have produced about 5,000 ACL labels before it wore out and was replaced.

Hey, iggy

When you have nothing better to do, howz about doing a count and see how many of those 3-1-3 labels you can find. It should only take you a year or two and we won't hold our breath while your conducting your search. (Lol) Just kidding!

Last edited:

bottle-bud

Reaction score
I would kinda consider option #7 in your possible reasons for the 3-1-3 pattern, after all the matchbook cover shows the 3-1-3 pattern and surely the matches did not come from plant #23. Maybe though the printer for the matchbook copied the image from a bottle that was in error or the bottler gave instructions to the matchbook printer for the design so they would both be the same.
I am so confused! LOL

iggyworf

Reaction score
I like #7 also. but it could be any. Also lets not forget the 3-1-3 wooden crate from West Barrington Rhode Island!

SODABOB

Reaction score
I agree there are other items, including wood cases, and other locations where the 3-1-3 bubbles turn up. But do we know where those items were made? The match book was made by the "Ohio Match Company Los Angeles, Cal."

My comments about the silkscreen was primarily to point out that the bubble placement on the bottles themselves was the result of a different silkscreen than the silkscreens used by the majority of other 7up bottlers at the time. If I'm not mistaken, I believe all or most of the 3-1-3 bottles were produced at the Owens-Illinois plant in Los Angeles. I guess we need to double check and see if the other bottles were made in Los Angeles or some other location. I can't recall right at the moment.

7up Match Book 3 1 3 Los Angeles (2).jpg

7up Match Book 3 1 3 Los Angeles.jpg

iggyworf

Reaction score
Yes you are right Bob. My two bottles were made in Los Angeles and I have not seen any others yet. Odd that other cities across the country would have ordered crates from Los Angeles, but until we find out more the mystery continues.

SODABOB

Reaction score
I just plugged in one of my USB image storing chips and I currently have 589 images of everything imaginable related to 7up, but not one of them provided a definitive clue to explain the 3-1-3 bottles. I have just about run out of places to look, but the common denominators seem to be ...

1. Los Angeles
2. Southern California
3. 1941

Of course, we already knew that! :confused:

Last edited:

SODABOB

Reaction score
I just took a quick look through some newspaper archives - focusing entirely on 7up bottling in Los Angeles and southern California in 1941, and the main stories during 1941 that involved the Seven Up Bottling Co. pertained to a confrontation with the A.F.L. (Los Angeles Federation of Labor) But it seems unlikely this had anything to do with the 3-1-3 bottles. However, notice the bubble placement in this article from ...

The Los Angeles Times ~ August 4, 1941

[ Save and Zoom if necessary ]

7up The_Los_Angeles_Times_Mon__Aug_4__1941_ (2).jpg

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi