7up 3-1-3 bubble bottle!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODABOB

Reaction score
P.S.

To help support my last comments, please be reminded that WWII officially began for the U.S. on December 7, 1941. With that said, are we to believe this ad was actually published during the last three weeks of 1941 and they were already talking about buying War Bonds and exceeding the wartime supply of 7up?

SODABOB

Reaction score
Just for the record, I did a simple Google search and on numerous reliable sites found the following regarding the selling and buying of WWII U.S. War Bonds ...

[FONT=&amp]
U.S. War Bonds

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
The last time the United States issued war bonds was during World War II, when full employment collided with rationing, and war bonds were seen as a way to remove money from circulation as well as reduce inflation. Issued by the U.S. Government, they were first called Defense Bonds. The name was changed to War Bonds after the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941. Known as debt securities for the purpose of financing military operations during war time, the bonds yielded a mere 2.9 percent return after a 10-year maturity.​
[/FONT]

SODABOB

Reaction score
Here I go again down another rabbit hole - but its okay with me if its okay with iggy - so hold onto your Mad Hatters because this could be a Mr. Toad's wild ride ...

Note: St. Louis was the home of the 7up parent company

Stout Sign Company

St. Louis, MO

The Stout Sign Company was established in 1886 located in St. Louis, MO. Stout Sign Co. was most well known for creating large advertising signs for display on the highways across the country; the signs they produced were rather large, embossed painted metal. During WWII in the 1940’s Stout Signs were hired by the federal government to support the war effort by producing large metal Uncle Sam “I Want You for the U.S. Army” signs to promote army enlistment. Stout also made signs for many of the prominent soda companies across the country like Pepsi Cola, Coca Cola, Dr. Pepper, Orange Crush, 7UP, Hire’s, Triple AAA, A&W, Dad’s, Mason’s, and Squirt.

[ Bakersfield 3-1-3 7up Sign built in 1939 ]

7up Bakersfield Sign Built 1939.jpg

[ Stout 3-1-3 7up Sign marked 9-41 ]

7up Sign 313 Stout Sign Co St Louis 9 41  Sept 1941.jpg

[ Cropped from bottom of sign 9-41 ]

7up Sign 313 Stout Sign Co St Louis 9 41 Sept 1941 Cropped.jpg

[ iggy's 3-1-3 1941 Los Angeles 7up Bottles ]

7up Bottles iggy 1941 LA (2).jpg

Last edited:

SODABOB

Reaction score
And, yes, the Stout Sign Company made 8 bubble 7up signs. But I can't find one that has a date on it. However, of the hundreds of Stout 7up signs I've looked at, the majority of those made after 1941 are dated. The Stout Sign Company is still in operation.

[ Dates Unknown ]

7up Stout Sign 8 Bubble.jpg

7up Stout Sign 8 Bubble (2).jpg

[ I especially like this one that depicts 7 bubbles on the sign and 8 bubbles on the embossed neck bottle ]

(Date Unknown)

7up Stout Sign 8 Bubble Bottle Embossed Neck (2).jpg

7up Stout Sign 8 Bubble Bottle Embossed Neck.jpg

SODABOB

Reaction score
In Search of ...

Stout 7up signs marked with visible dates from 1940 or earlier

Last edited:

SODABOB

Reaction score
Because I messed up with the 1942 7up bottle stuff yesterday I thought I'd make up for my goof up by adding the following to my list for the Free ACL book. Please note that even though I have already looked at hundreds of these signs, there are hundreds more to be found and hopefully someone can find one that's pre 1941 and has a visible date on it ...

5. Good pictures of a Stout 7up sign that has a clearly visible date marked on it from 1940 or earlier

SODABOB

Reaction score
Hey, iggy

Look at what I bought on eBay this morning. I'll tell you more about it and post some pictures when it arrives.

7up Bottle Bakersfield  back.jpg

iggyworf

Reaction score
Awesome! I scan ebay regularly and never seen that one. Can't wait to see more pics. I hope it's a magic 3-1-3 bubble bottle!

Last edited:

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coronado