7up 3-1-3 bubble bottle!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODABOB

Reaction score
Rich

Now comes the part I have been chomping at the bit to post. It may be a little premature to say this until the jury returns with more results, but as it stands now ...

1. The 1939 Bakersfield sign is currently the earliest confirmed and known use of the 3-1-3 bubble placement

2. Your 1941 3-1-3 bottles are currently the earliest confirmed and known use of 7 bubble bottles

But only with more time and research will we know for certain if your 3-1-3 bottles were actually the first ever to contain 7 bubbles.

iggyworf

Reaction score
Rich

Thanks for the list but I might have messed up with the way I worded my request. Instead of mold number I should have said "style" numbers such as G94 - 4243G - 4285G. The second numbers on your list are mold "cavity" numbers they used to identify each individual mold on the bottle making machine in case one of them started forming defective bottles. If during the inspection of the finished bottles they detected any flaws, the "cavity" number would tell them which mold was the culprit and either repair or replace it as needed. Mold "cavity" numbers generally range between 1 and 20. I can't recall ever seeing a cavity number higher than 20, but there could be. Notice the cavity number 15 on the Hawaii bottle and the 2 and the 13 on your 3-1-3 bottles. But regardless of all of my gobblygook, I fully understand that the majority of your bottles have the G94 "style" number and were made at the Owens Illinois plant #3 in Fairmont, West Virginia. At some point I will combine our list but for now here's what I came up with. Let's focus on the Swimsuit labels and not the later bottles. My list only includes the plant number, the date code, and plant location, which are listed under three different style categories. Even though other glass companies made early 7up bottles, such as the Glenshaw Glass Company, my list only includes Owens Illinois bottles. Most sellers, and even a lot of collectors, don't realize that Glenshaw date codes are embossed on the reinforcing ring/lip of a bottle in the form of a letter that has to be translated, such as an "M" for 1941. Mainly I'm trying to determine which plants used which styles and if they are consistent. Anyway, here's what I found so far ...

Style 94G & G94 (I've seen both versions but they are basically the same style of bottle)

PLANT # / DATE / Plant Location

23 / 47 (1947) / Los Angeles
9 / 2. (1942) / Streator, Illinois
3 / 47 (1947) / Fairmont, W.V.
7 / 50 (1950) / Alton, Illinois
23 / 52 (1952) / Los Angeles
3 / 46 (1946) / Fairmont, W.V.

Style 4243G

23 / 3. (1943) (Hawaii Bottle) / Los Angeles
23 / 1. (iggy's 1941 3-1-3 bottles) / Los Angeles

Style 4285G

23 / 0. (1940) / Los Angeles
23 / 45 (1945) / Los Angeles

Amber Squat Bottles* - Style G853 - Usually embossed on the Heel and not the base

* I'm still working on these and will post more details later

And here's one the Owens Illinois plant charts again for a quick reference to the various plant numbers/locations. I will do a revised version for all of the above, including iggy's list, later on.

View attachment 186100

I gotcha! All my Owens Illinois swimsuit bottles are G94.

SODABOB

Reaction score
Because I'm eager to give away a Free ACL book, I'm adding number 5. to my list. Surely there are some 1942 7 bubble bottles out there somewhere. However, if I messed up and forgot that a 1942 7 bubble bottle has already been posted, then number 5. is void and not a winner. Please bring it to my attention if a 1942 7 bubble bottle has already been posted. To the best of my recollection, I don't think one has been posted yet. Anyway, here's my revised list with the new addition in green...

Revised List for Free ACL book ...

1. Good pictures (Front - Back - Base) of any 1941 or earlier Bakersfield ACL 7up bottle*

2. Good pictures (Front - Back - Base) of any 7up bottle like member kbobam's ACL 7up bottle*

3. Any 1938 through 1942 ACL 7up bottle from any of the following California locations*

Bakersfield / City & County
San Bernardino / City & County
Los Angeles / City & County

4. Good pictures (Front - Back - Base) of any 1941 7 Bubble ACL 7up bottle from any state or town in the United States*

5. Good pictures (Front - Back - Base) of any 1942 7 Bubble ACL 7up bottle from any state or town in the United States*

*Except for the 3-1-3 bottles posted on this or any other thread.

SODABOB

Reaction score
Hey, iggy/Rich

What year(s) were the embossed neck logos typically supposed to have been discontinued? According to the description associated with this particular bottle (some of which are obvious from the pic) it apparently is ...

1. From Spokane, Washington

2. Produced at the LA Plant #23

3. Dated 1942

4. 7 bubble 2-3-2

5. Embossed neck logo

View attachment 185682

I forgot about this one from Post #85 but because there is no picture of the base and is only a description, it cannot be considered as a confirmed date. However, if anyone finds a picture of the base for this bottle or one like it, I will send you a Free ACL book.

Last edited:

iggyworf

Reaction score
Because I'm eager to give away a Free ACL book, I'm adding number 5. to my list. Surely there are some 1942 7 bubble bottles out there somewhere. However, if I messed up and forgot that a 1942 7 bubble bottle has already been posted, then number 5. is void and not a winner. Please bring it to my attention if a 1942 7 bubble bottle has already been posted. To the best of my recollection, I don't think one has been posted yet. Anyway, here's my revised list with the new addition in green...

Revised List for Free ACL book ...

1. Good pictures (Front - Back - Base) of any 1941 or earlier Bakersfield ACL 7up bottle*

2. Good pictures (Front - Back - Base) of any 7up bottle like member kbobam's ACL 7up bottle*

3. Any 1938 through 1942 ACL 7up bottle from any of the following California locations*

Bakersfield / City & County
San Bernardino / City & County
Los Angeles / City & County

4. Good pictures (Front - Back - Base) of any 1941 7 Bubble ACL 7up bottle from any state or town in the United States*

5. Good pictures (Front - Back - Base) of any 1942 7 Bubble ACL 7up bottle from any state or town in the United States*

*Except for the 3-1-3 bottles posted on this or any other thread.

Bob I already know of a 1942 7 bubble bottle but I have gotten An ACL book from you already so I will not participate in the contest. Good luck to anyone else!

SODABOB

Reaction score
bottle-bud

I can't read the entire article but do see "Gary, Indiana" at the bottom. I did a quick search and found this bottle that's currently on eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/7-UP-ACL-S...ge-Indianapolis-Gary-Evansville-/202275544742

Notice ...

1. It has Gary on the back along with Indianapolis and Evansville - all located in Indiana

2. The base is marked with "Duraglas" and has a 2. for 1942

3. Its a 2-2-3

So I don't know what to make of it other than its one year after the Los Angeles bottles and five years earlier than the 1947 date on your article. ???

View attachment 185534

View attachment 185535

View attachment 185536

I also forgot about this one - So I guess I will have to void number 5. on my list because this bottle confirms there were indeed 7 bubble bottles made in 1942. Please accept my apologies for not checking first before posting my revised list. But everything else on the list still stands and will be acknowledged if/when any of the other bottles on the list are found and posted.

SODABOB

Reaction score
PS

In the event that none of the bottles on my list for a Free ACL book are found and posted, I will come up with some way for everyone to have a shot at a Free ACL book. Maybe I will do a pick-a-number between 1 and 100 kind of deal. But one way or another, someone is going to get a Free ACL book for New Year's.

SODABOB

Reaction score
Rich

Thanks. Hopefully my recent post will clear up any confusion.

SODABOB

Reaction score
P.S.

Rich

Despite the confusion, the silver lining is that its still looking good for your 1941 3-1-3 bottles as possibly being the first to use a 7 bubble label.

SODABOB

Reaction score
More ...

Some of you might have seen this ad that's currently on eBay that has "Copr. 1941 The Seven Up Co." in the lower left corner and depicts a 2-2-3 bottle. However, the 1941 Copyright date doesn't necessarily confirm that the ad itself was published in 1941. Sometimes they used copyright dates like that for other reasons and used them for ads that were actually published a year or more after the so called copyright date. And please don't think I'm being hard-nosed about this and want things to be my way or no way, its just that its really the bottles and not "maybe" ads that will eventually confirm the earliest/first use of a 7 bubble bottle. Here's the eBay link to this particular ad where you can check it out for yourselves ...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1941-7up-S...es/302959731848?hash=item4689cea488:rk:1:pf:0

7up Ad 1941 eBay 2018 (2).jpg

Cropped from lower-left corner

7up Ad 1941 eBay 2018 (4).jpg

7up Ad 1941 eBay 2018 (3).jpg

Last edited:

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karjes18