7up 3-1-3 bubble bottle!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

iggyworf

Reaction score

SODABOB

Reaction score
I already sent shotdwn a PM but wanted to let everyone know that I mailed his book today and that he should receive it by Monday, January 7, 2019

SODABOB

Reaction score
Hey, Rich

I just noticed the last Bakersfield crate I posted has Inc. on it. But the other ones don't. I wonder if the Inc. is enough of a clue to date the crate?

Here's the Bakersfield crate from the original thread and the one I just found for comparison. Check 'em out ...

View attachment 186422

View attachment 186423

In response to my own question about the Inc. on the so-called 1939 Bakersfield crate, this is one of the 1939 newspaper articles I posted earlier ...

[ The Bakersfield Californian ~ June 13, 1939 ]

Bakersfield 7up The_Bakersfield_Californian_Tue__Jun_13__1939_ (5).jpg

SODABOB

Reaction score
I'm home now after spending the Holidays in Arizona and will tell you later about what I did and didn't find on my trip.

SODABOB

Reaction score
During the ten days I was in Arizona I ended up going to about a dozen antique malls in the Phoenix area and ...

1. I did not find any 3-1-3 7up bottles or signs or anything else 3-1-3 related

2. I did find and bought an amber Coca Cola bottle from Nashville. Tennessee. It was made by the Root Glass Company and marked on the heel with the number 406. I already researched it and discovered that Root first started making Coca Cola bottles in 1905. Starting in 1909 Root started marking all of their bottles with a date. My bottle does not have a date but does have the number 406 which was the number they used for all of their Nashville bottles. Hence, I have dated my bottle circa 1907. It is a hand blown (BIM) bottle and one of the earliest Crown closure Coca Cola bottles made. I paid $45.00 for it.

Note: My camera is still packed away somewhere so I 'borrowed' these pics from an identical Nashville bottle currently on eBay. In fact, there are three amber Nashville bottles currently on eBay priced at $79.00 and $89.00

My bottle is in about the same condition as the one pictured here with a few pings and flea bites - I graded my bottle @ 8.5

Coca Cola Amber Nashville Root 406 Front.jpg

Coca Cola Amber Nashville Root 406.jpg

SODABOB

Reaction score
Rich

I haven't given up the search yet for other 3-1-3 7up bottles and during the past couple of weeks I have been focusing on any 7up bottle made at the Owens-Illinois plants #23 and #24 from 1940 or earlier. Even though the bottles I have seen are not from Bakersfield, Los Angeles, or San Bernardino, every bottle I have seen from that time period was an 8 bubble bottle. My thinking is, if plants #23 and #24 made 8 bubble bottles between 1936 and 1940 for other cities like Portland, Oregon, Reno, Nevada, and other western United States 7up bottlers, then it seems likely to me that most if not all of the bottles they made prior to 1941 were also 8 bubble bottles. Hence, I'm still of the opinion that your 3-1-3 seven bubble bottles could very well be the first seven bubble bottles ever made. But to prove this we still need to find the bottles in question from 1940 or earlier. And lets not forget the early Bakersfield bottle that's been posted several times has an embossed neck logo.

SODABOB

Reaction score
Rich

While researching the "Inc." factor I stumbled onto this San Bernardino bottle that has Inc. on the back. I apologize for being secretive about it, but it might turn out to be another nothing-burger and I don't want to jump-the-gun until I research it further. But I can tell you that the 3-1-3 San Bernardino bottle already posted does not have Inc. on it. Additionally, the attached newspaper snippet indicates that the San Bernardino Seven Up Bottling Company incorporated in 1938 ...

3-1-3 San Bernardino bottle

7up Bottle San Bernardino 3 1 3 Back.jpg

Inc. San Bernardino bottle

7up San Bernardino Inc Back.jpg

The San Bernardino Daily Sun ~ October 28, 1938

7up San Bernardino County Sun Oct 29, 1938.jpg

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member