7up 3-1-3 bubble bottle!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODABOB

Reaction score
iggy/Rich

Please forgive me for momentarily going back to the wood crates, but something is fishy somewhere. I just tapped into my favorite image site and used the search words ...

"Wood 7up Crate"

But that's it, no Los Angeles or any other wording. As a result it pulled up approximately 12,000 matches. I haven't even gone through half of the listings yet, but of those I did open about 90% of the large crates are from Los Angeles. I didn't pay any attention to the smaller, flat crates because they are not as easy to recognize as the large crates. The Los Angeles crates stick out like a sore thumb. Some of the Los Angeles crates didn't even have the location in the title, but, like I said, they are easy to spot. Anyway, the fishy part is that there are just way, way too many of the Los Angeles crates to justify every one of them as actually having been used by the Los Angeles Seven Up Bottling Company. And, yes, every one of them has the 3-1-3 bubbles as well as an assortment of different numbers. I know this is going to sound crazy, but I'm starting to suspect the large Los Angeles crates were constructed for some purpose other than to hold soda bottles. Like maybe some type of promotion or possibly to be used for some type of home decor purpose. I just now stumbled onto this and can't explain it further at the moment, but I definitely suspect there is something fishy going on and that there is more to this than meets the eye. Just take a look on eBay on any given day and you'll see what I mean.

Last edited:

SODABOB

Reaction score
Call me crazy and obsessed, but I just gotta share this ...

I'm seeing tid-bits of information regarding the large 7up crates being used to store LP record albums. One reference hinted at a promotion between the Los Angeles Seven Up Bottling Company and record stores. I can't confirm anything yet, but the dates on the crates jive with the time period when LP record albums were common. I might be on a wild goose chase with this, but you just never know where the rabbit will pop up next. (pun intended)

SODABOB

Reaction score
The Los Angeles Times ~ August 27, 1977

7up Crate The_Los_Angeles_Times_Sat__Aug_27__1977_ (2).jpg

SODABOB

Reaction score
I've only had time for a brief search into this, and so far have not been able to find a picture of a Large 7up crate. So I will settle for this one for the time being. But I can assure you there are literally hundreds of ads like this between 1960 and 1990. And not only in California newspapers, but nationwide as well. Whether this explains the unusually high amount of Los Angeles 7up crates seen on eBay and elsewhere, I can't say for certain, but I do feel it is worth an honorable mention.

[ The Los Angeles Times ~ June 12, 1983 ]

7up Crates The_Los_Angeles_Times_Sun__Jun_12__1983_ (3).jpg

SODABOB

Reaction score
Are you thinking what I'm thinking? I'm thinking that some (all?) of the Large Los Angeles 7up crates we've been seeing might not be original at all - but possibly reproductions developed for the collector / decor market. After Thanksgiving I will delve into this further.

Speaking of Thanksgiving ...

​Have a Great one !

SODABOB

Reaction score
But before I pack a bag and head out of town, I'd like to share this first. As you know, I'm of the opinion that the numbers are dates. As such, I believe this particular example was produced in May of 1939. Its only the end panel, but notice the dovetailed corners and 8 bubbles. Based on what I've been seeing, late 1930s and early 1940s 7up crates should look more like this one than they do the 3-1-3 examples we have seen so many of.

7up Crate end 5 39.jpg

iggyworf

Reaction score
Hey, iggy/Rich

Another question ...

How many of the Los Angeles 3-1-3 bottles are you aware of? The reason I ask is because the only example(s) I'm are aware of are the one(s) you own. I can't find a picture or reference to another one anywhere. You'd think if they were mass produced that other examples could be found. But if they weren't mass produced, that in itself could be a major clue. In other words, if only a handful of them were ever produced it could very well have been some type of fluke. ???

Bob, brief moment with a comp. Question? Why would Bakersfield bottling plant make this large sign for their building if the bottles were a fluke? So their must be more bottles out there. I only know of my 2 so far.

7up 3-1-3 sign.jpg
7up bakersfield.jpg

Remember these? But no bottles from that plant,,,,,Yet!

iggyworf

Reaction score
iggy/Rich

Please forgive me for momentarily going back to the wood crates, but something is fishy somewhere. I just tapped into my favorite image site and used the search words ...

"Wood 7up Crate"

But that's it, no Los Angeles or any other wording. As a result it pulled up approximately 12,000 matches. I haven't even gone through half of the listings yet, but of those I did open about 90% of the large crates are from Los Angeles. I didn't pay any attention to the smaller, flat crates because they are not as easy to recognize as the large crates. The Los Angeles crates stick out like a sore thumb. Some of the Los Angeles crates didn't even have the location in the title, but, like I said, they are easy to spot. Anyway, the fishy part is that there are just way, way too many of the Los Angeles crates to justify every one of them as actually having been used by the Los Angeles Seven Up Bottling Company. And, yes, every one of them has the 3-1-3 bubbles as well as an assortment of different numbers. I know this is going to sound crazy, but I'm starting to suspect the large Los Angeles crates were constructed for some purpose other than to hold soda bottles. Like maybe some type of promotion or possibly to be used for some type of home decor purpose. I just now stumbled onto this and can't explain it further at the moment, but I definitely suspect there is something fishy going on and that there is more to this than meets the eye. Just take a look on eBay on any given day and you'll see what I mean.

I have also noticed some of them are 'extremely' in great condition.

iggyworf

Reaction score
Hey, iggy/Rich

What year(s) were the embossed neck logos typically supposed to have been discontinued? According to the description associated with this particular bottle (some of which are obvious from the pic) it apparently is ...

1. From Spokane, Washington

2. Produced at the LA Plant #23

3. Dated 1942

4. 7 bubble 2-3-2

5. Embossed neck logo

View attachment 185682

Yes I have seen them go to 1944.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics