7up 3-1-3 bubble bottle!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

iggyworf

Reaction score
I am leaning towards that conclusion also. With all of the research that has been done, mostly by you. Thank you!

I did locate this write up about the Bakersfield plant.
"
7-Up Bottling
(1934) 230 E. 18th St.
Forty-five years ago, long before Highway 99 moved two miles to the west, Union Avenue/Golden State Highway was a bustling business corridor. And this distinctive edifice, with its three-story spire topped with a rotating 7-Up logo, was a popular place. The 7-Up building, widely believed to have been built in 1934, was a popular vantage point for the city’s annual Christmas parade. People would beg to go inside the building and take in the view.
The rotating sign, built by Bakersfield Neon, spun with an electric motor connected to a differential from a 1944 Ford. When the original part ceased to function, the whole thing ground to a permanent stop, and replacement parts couldn’t be located.
Many longtime Bakersfield residents will remember touring the soft-drink bottling operation as a Cub Scout or elementary school student. The management would give each kid a seven-ounce bottle of soda and a little paper hat.

Kern County Land Co."

from here,

https://www.bakersfield.com/our-sto...cle_12ccbf46-9246-58c8-8da6-139b0234be1c.html

SODABOB

Reaction score
Rich

I think you'll agree the Bakersfield article is interesting but inaccurate. As we know, the plant had its formal opening on June 14, 1939. So I have to wonder where the author came up with the 1934 date. According to the heading, the article was written in 2012 - and yet the author states "45-years ago" - with 45 years before 2012 being 1967. Other than the dating errors, the rest of the article seems accurate, although I had never heard the part about how the sign was operated, and have to question that as well until I see additional evidence to support the claim. Notice where he says the sign was partially operated by a "1944 Ford." How could there possibly have been a 1944 Ford in 1934? And even if the 1934 date is a typo for 1944, things still don't fit properly. The more I re-read the article and think about it, the more I think the author did not do any research and was just guessing. Especially notice where he says "The 7-Up building, widely believed to have been built in 1934" - I wonder where he got his information when all he would have had to do is a little research to discover the plant was definitely built and opened in 1939 and not in 1934. ??? :confused:

De Plane De Plane Tattoo (1).jpg

Last edited:

SODABOB

Reaction score
And just to be fair to everyone concerned, here's the Bill Lockhart chart again - notice he list a 7 Bubble bottle as early as 1938. However, notice in the footnotes where he mentions "using old molds and equipment." In other words, a bottle first issued/distributed in 1939 could easily have been made in 1938, and a bottle first issued/distributed in 1940 could have been made in 1939. This topic has never been fully explored that I'm aware of, but there is a measure of evidence that suggest there was at least a 6 month lead time between when a bottle was ordered / made and when it was used / distributed by a bottler.

View attachment 185991

Last edited:

SODABOB

Reaction score
Food for thought / Homework ...

Notice that this (date unknown) Bakersfield bottle has the u7p embossed neck logo. Based on everything we know thus far, when do you think this bottle was made? Clue = Refer to Bill Lockhart's chart ...

7up Bottle Bakersfield embossed neck (2).jpg

7up Bottle Bakersfield embossed neck (3).jpg

Last edited:

iggyworf

Reaction score
Rich

I think you'll agree the Bakersfield article is interesting but inaccurate. As we know, the plant had its formal opening on June 14, 1939. So I have to wonder where the author came up with the 1934 date. According to the heading, the article was written in 2012 - and yet the author states "45-years ago" - with 45 years before 2012 being 1967. Other than the dating errors, the rest of the article seems accurate, although I had never heard the part about how the sign was operated, and have to question that as well until I see additional evidence to support the claim. Notice where he says the sign was partially operated by a "1944 Ford." How could there possibly have been a 1944 Ford in 1934? And even if the 1934 date is a typo for 1944, things still don't fit properly. The more I re-read the article and think about it, the more I think the author did not do any research and was just guessing. Especially notice where he says "The 7-Up building, widely believed to have been built in 1934" - I wonder where he got his information when all he would have had to do is a little research to discover the plant was definitely built and opened in 1939 and not in 1934. ??? :confused:

View attachment 185990

can't believe some of those differences slipped by me.

The bottle - 1940?
I

SODABOB

Reaction score
Rich

You said "1940?" (with a question mark) I concur but will word it as . "no later than 1940"

Just for the record ...

Here's the 2nd generation embossed neck logo 7up that is referred to in Bill Lockhart's chart. This one came after the u7p logo

7up Logo Embossed 2nd Generation.jpg

iggyworf

Reaction score
I have 2 bottles with similar embossed logos like that one.

Here is a pic of an add from RI to deepen the mystery. I am trying to find any info on the west barrington bottling co of RI.

7up west barrington ri pic.jpg

SODABOB

Reaction score
Rich

I will poke around and see what I can find related to the 3-1-3 West Barrington stuff. In the meantime, here's another twist that I/we sort of forgot about. Its the Los Angeles bottle originally posted by member kbobam in 2008.

Notice ...

1. Its a 3-1-3

2. It has the embossed u7p neck logo

3. Its a 6 1/2 Ounce

(I emailed kbobam about a year ago to ask about the bottle's date, but never heard back from him)

Speaking of the date, based on our recent exchange I believe we both agree that the u7p logos were produced no later than 1940. If this is true, then kbobam's bottle predates your 1941 3-1-3 Los Angeles bottles by a full year. And, yes, I'm hinting at the possibility that kbobam's bottle might be dated anytime between 1936 and 1940, but leaning towards it being a 1939. This is another situation of "where there's one bottle there should be others." Of course, finding one is something else. Anyway, I'm going to see if I can find one like it and will let you know if/when I do. It might even lead to a 3-1-3 Bakersfield bottle.

(No picture of the base) (Bummer)

7up Bottle  313  Los Angeles Front member kbobam.jpg

7up Bottle 313 Los Angeles Back Member kbobam.jpg

Last edited:

SODABOB

Reaction score
Rich

In my last post I said this ...

"Speaking of the date, based on our recent exchange I believe we both agree that the u7p logos were produced no later than 1940. If this is true, then kbobam's bottle predates your 1941 3-1-3 Los Angeles bottles by a full year. And, yes, I'm hinting at the possibility that kbobam's bottle might be dated anytime between 1936 and 1940, but leaning towards it being a 1939. This is another situation of "where there's one bottle there should be others." Of course, finding one is something else. Anyway, I'm going to see if I can find one like it and will let you know if/when I do. It might even lead to a 3-1-3 Bakersfield bottle."

But want to re-word/edit it here in red ...

"Speaking of the date, based on our recent exchange I believe we both agree that the u7p logos were produced no later than 1940. If this is true, then kbobam's bottle predates your 1941 3-1-3 Los Angeles bottles by a full year. And, yes, I'm hinting at the possibility that kbobam's bottle might be dated anytime between 1936 and 1940, but leaning towards it possibly being a 1940, but no later than that This is another situation of "where there's one bottle there should be others." Of course, finding one is something else. Anyway, I'm going to see if I can find one like it and will let you know if/when I do. It might even lead to a 3-1-3 Bakersfield bottle.

( I will explain shortly why I edited it )

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi