7up 3-1-3 bubble bottle!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODABOB

Reaction score

Christmas Special ...
:flag:

I will send a free ACL book ($65 value) to the first member who post ...

1. Good pictures of a pre-1941 Bakersfield 7up bottle

or ...

2. Good pictures of a 7up bottle like member kbobam's

Signed ...

Sodabob

ACL Soda Bottle Book (447x600) (2).jpg

SODABOB

Reaction score
Stocking Stuffer

Add this to my list for the free ACL book ...

3. Any 1938 through 1942 ACL 7up bottle from any of the following California locations that have not already been posted on this or any other thread.

Bakersfield / City & County
San Bernardino / City & County
Los Angeles / City & County

iggyworf

Reaction score
I know that iggy and other members are familiar with the following Owens-Illinois charts - So I'm primarily posting them for members who are not familiar with them. They are the charts that most of us refer to when researching Owens-Illinois. But the overall main reason I'm posting them is to point out that not one of them list Owens-Illinois plant #24. No one seems to know why plant #24 is not listed, but we know for certain it existed because of the Los Angeles (and possibly Arcadia) bottle I just posted base pictures of. Anyway, I will discuss this in more detail later on.

Note: The last chart pictured here is the earliest of the three and is from Julian Toulouse's 1971 book ""Bottle Makers and their Marks" which I have a copy of. I'm not 100% certain who compiled the other two charts, but I believe they might have been compiled by Bill Lockhart and the Bottle Research Group (BRG)

View attachment 186051

View attachment 186052

View attachment 186053

(More to follow )

This article here does list plant #24, scroll down to page 7. 'The Bewildering Array of Owens-Illinois Glass Co. Logos and Codes' It lists that it opened in 1932 and closed in 1937.

https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0g...hart.pdf/RK=2/RS=GyG2Vi_88zsOaMUR.rPUEn5cpbs-

SODABOB

Reaction score
Rich

That Bill Lockhart pdf file is where I found the Plant #24 information - I still call into question that Plant #24 closed in 1937 because of the "Arcadia / Best Ever" bottle I posted pictures of with the 24 <(I)> 8 base mark.

I can't make out the right-side number on the Hawaii bottle, but it could be a 0. (zero with a dot) for 1940. According to Bill Lockhart and the Bottle Research Group (BRG) they observed the use of the dot on Owens-Illinois soda bottles between 1940 and 1946. But the dot appears only on Owens Illinois soda bottles and not other types of bottles. Apparently they switched to double-digit numbers around 1947.

But what I find just as mysterious about the Hawaii bottle is that it has plant #23 along with the catalog/mold number 4243G. So far I have only seen the 4243G on bottles made at Plant #24. Plant #23 bottles normally use the 4285G like on your two Los Angeles bottles. So I guess this adds another mystery to things because I am clueless at the moment as to why a Plant #23 bottle has a Plant #24 catalog/mold number.

Here are a couple of pics of the Hawaii bottle on eBay (which I tried to enhance but didn't do much good)

View attachment 186072

View attachment 186073

Last edited:

SODABOB

Reaction score
P.S.

Rich

Another confusing thing about 7up bottles and the research done on them is that most references say the "Fresh Up" in script was introduced around 1940 like on the back of the Hawaii bottle. But what's confusing is that your 1941 Los Angeles bottles have the "Fresh Up" in block font. Maybe one of these days we can figure out exactly when the block font "Fresh Up" ended and the script "Fresh Up" began.

7up Bottle Hawaii back.jpg

7up Bottle iggy 1941 LA (2).jpg

Last edited:

SODABOB

Reaction score
PS ~ PS

If anyone finds an ACL 7up bottle with a 0 (zero) to the right of the Owens-Illinois logo (whether it has a dot or not) you can be certain that its a 1940 bottle. The reason I say this is threefold ...

1. There were no ACL 7up bottles in 1930

2. Owens-Illinois switched to double-digit numbers before 1950

3. Which only leaves 1940

SODABOB

Reaction score
Triple PS ~ PS ~ PS

Rich

I just sent the eBay Hawaii 7up bottle seller an email and asked what the number is to the right of the 23 <(I)> ? mark. I will let you know when I hear back from them.

SODABOB

Reaction score
This link is to the 1940 7up bottle I posted a base picture of earlier. The bottle itself is from Washington state but the listing is from France. I did a lot of clicking around and didn't have any problems so it appears to be a safe site. It has 8 bubbles and an ACL neck logo, and pretty sure the plant number is 23. Its priced in Euro money (c 69.95) which converts to $79.62 in U.S. money. I was thinking about buying it but not at that price. But it does have one of those magnifying viewers that's kind of cool. Check it out ...

https://www.1944supply.com/miscellaneous/7-up-bottle-1940-dated.html

SODABOB

Reaction score
1941 7up Bottles ... Add One Update

Los Angeles, California = 7 Bubble (3-1-3) = ACL Neck
San Bernardino, California = 7 Bubble (3-1-3) = ACL Neck
Clarksdale, Mississippi = 8 Bubble = ACL Neck
Epping - Louisville, Kentucky = 8 Bubble = Emb Neck
Aberdeen, South Dakota = 8 Bubble = ACL Neck
Houston, Texas (Amber) = 8 Bubble = ACL Neck
St. Joseph, Missouri = 8 Bubble = ACL Neck
Lincoln, Nebraska = 8 Bubble = ACL Neck
Jamestown, North Dakota = 8 Bubble = ACL Neck
Reading / Lancaster, Pennsylvania = 8 Bubble = ACL Neck
Epping/Louisville.Lexington Ky - 8 bubble - ACL neck
Iowa/7up Iowa Co. - 8 bubble - ACL neck
Bay City/Saginaw Mich - 8 bubble - ACL neck
Houston, Texas = Amber Stubby = 8 Bubble = Emb Neck = Duraglas
Joliet/Chicago = 8 Bubble = ACL Neck
No Location = 8 Bubble = Emb Neck

Bakersfield, California = ? Bubble = Emb Neck

7up Bottle 1941 No Location 8 Bubble Srteator Plant Number 9 embossed neck logo.jpg

7up Bottle 1941 No Location 8 Bubble Srteator Plant Number 9.jpg

9 <(I)> 1. ( The 9 is for Streator, Illinois)

7up Bottle 1941 No Location 8 Bubble Srteator Plant Number 9 embossed neck logo base.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hayden.Brown