7up 3-1-3 bubble bottle!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODABOB

Reaction score
Even though I said I would give a free ACL book to the first member who found a 1938 through 1942 ACL 7up bottle from Bakersfield, San Bernardino, or Los Angeles, this particular 1942 bottle would not qualify as a winner because it doesn't have a 7up label. It has a "Tang Up" label. However, because of the plant #23 and the catalog/mold number 4285G, plus Duraglas, I'm 99.99% confident they used a typical 7up bottle mold to make this bottle. Even though its not a winner, it at least shows us what a 23 <(I)> 2. / 4285G / Duraglas Owens-Illinois bottle looks like. Not to mention that its from a Los Angeles bottler.

4285G Tang Up Bottle Front.jpg

4285G Tang Up Bottle back.jpg

4285G Tang Up Bottle.jpg

SODABOB

Reaction score
Rich

I still haven't heard from the Hawaii seller but hope to today. In the meantime, the "Tang Up" bottle got me to wondering about the different molds used at the two Los Angeles Owens-Illinois plants - namely Plant #23 and Plant #24. The two bottles pictured below are from the original thread when you did your measurement test. Both bottles are from Los Angeles. The bottle on the left is your 1941 3-1-3 6 1/2 Ounce. The bottle on the right is your 1945 2-2-3 7 Ounce. What I'd like to know is the catalog/mold numbers on each of these bottles, and whether they are the same or different? I have a 1952 San Diego 7up bottle that was made at Plant #23 that has the mold number G94 on the base. So that gives us at least three different mold numbers from the two Los Angeles Owens-Illinois plants, which are ...

Plant #23 = 4285G ~ 94G ~ 4243G
Plant #24 = 4243G

Observation: If your two bottles pictured below have the same mold number, then I have to wonder how it's possible that one is taller than the other and holds more liquid?

7up Bottles iggy 313 1941 and 223 1945.jpg

SODABOB

Reaction score
This Southern California map is from the original thread but I added a few things. I thought it might be of interest to members who are not familiar with the locations of the towns we have been focusing on throughout the course of this discussion ...

Bakersfield ~ Kern County ~ 3-1-3 Sign

San Bernardino ~ San Bernardino County ~ 3-1-3 Bottle

Los Angeles ~ Los Angeles County ~ iggy's 3-1-3 Bottles

7up California Map.jpg

iggyworf

Reaction score
Rich

I still haven't heard from the Hawaii seller but hope to today. In the meantime, the "Tang Up" bottle got me to wondering about the different molds used at the two Los Angeles Owens-Illinois plants - namely Plant #23 and Plant #24. The two bottles pictured below are from the original thread when you did your measurement test. Both bottles are from Los Angeles. The bottle on the left is your 1941 3-1-3 6 1/2 Ounce. The bottle on the right is your 1945 2-2-3 7 Ounce. What I'd like to know is the catalog/mold numbers on each of these bottles, and whether they are the same or different? I have a 1952 San Diego 7up bottle that was made at Plant #23 that has the mold number G94 on the base. So that gives us at least three different mold numbers from the two Los Angeles Owens-Illinois plants, which are ...

Plant #23 = 4285G ~ 94G ~ 4243G
Plant #24 = 4243G

Observation: If your two bottles pictured below have the same mold number, then I have to wonder how it's possible that one is taller than the other and holds more liquid?

View attachment 186087

Bob my 1945 bottle is from Sault Ste Marie Michigan from Fairmont WV plant #3. I must have just used that one for a reference maybe? I have no other 7up bottles from LA.

Last edited:

SODABOB

Reaction score
Rich

Thanks

When you get a minute or two, howz about making a list of the different mold numbers that are with different plant numbers. I don't think this has ever been done before and it might prove interesting for future research. I will look around and see what I can find and then compile a list that we can compare later. If I'm done before you, I will go go ahead and post my list that we can revise as needed according to what you come up with. But no hurry - just whenever you get the time.

SODABOB

Reaction score
1941 7up Bottles ... (See Below)

Los Angeles, California = 7 Bubble (3-1-3) = ACL Neck
San Bernardino, California = 7 Bubble (3-1-3) = ACL Neck
Clarksdale, Mississippi = 8 Bubble = ACL Neck
Epping - Louisville, Kentucky = 8 Bubble = Emb Neck
Aberdeen, South Dakota = 8 Bubble = ACL Neck
Houston, Texas (Amber) = 8 Bubble = ACL Neck
St. Joseph, Missouri = 8 Bubble = ACL Neck
Lincoln, Nebraska = 8 Bubble = ACL Neck
Jamestown, North Dakota = 8 Bubble = ACL Neck
Reading / Lancaster, Pennsylvania = 8 Bubble = ACL Neck
Epping/Louisville.Lexington Ky - 8 bubble - ACL neck
Iowa/7up Iowa Co. - 8 bubble - ACL neck
Bay City/Saginaw Mich - 8 bubble - ACL neck
Houston, Texas = Amber Stubby = 8 Bubble = Emb Neck = Duraglas
Joliet/Chicago = 8 Bubble = ACL Neck
No Location = 8 Bubble = Emb Neck

(List for free ACL book)

1. Good pictures of a pre-1941 Bakersfield 7up bottle

2. Good pictures of a 7up bottle like member kbobam's

3. Any 1938 through 1942 ACL 7up bottle from any of the following California locations that have not already been posted on this or any other thread ...

Bakersfield / City & County
San Bernardino / City & County
Los Angeles / City & County

(Below is Here)
:welcome:

Add the following to my list for the free ACL book ...

4. Good pictures (Front - Back - Base) of any 1941 7 Bubble ACL 7up bottle from any state or town in the United States*

*Except for any of the 3-1-3 bottles posted on this or any other thread

SODABOB

Reaction score
Rich

I heard from the Hawaii seller and they said the date code is a solo 3. with a dot for 1943. Because a portion of the paint is missing where the first set of bubbles are, its inconclusive as to whether its a 7 or 8 bubble bottle. I wouldn't be surprised if it was an 8 bubble label. But regardless of that, your 3-1-3 bottles are still earlier by two years.

7up Bottle Hawaii front.jpg

7up Bottle Hawaii base (2).jpg

7up Bottle Hawaii base.jpg

iggyworf

Reaction score
Rich

Thanks

When you get a minute or two, howz about making a list of the different mold numbers that are with different plant numbers. I don't think this has ever been done before and it might prove interesting for future research. I will look around and see what I can find and then compile a list that we can compare later. If I'm done before you, I will go go ahead and post my list that we can revise as needed according to what you come up with. But no hurry - just whenever you get the time.

Here are just my swimsuit bottles for now. All but one of my 8 bubble bottles do not have a mold # on bottom but have G94 on the base.

Plant # Mold # City Year
3 13 Fairmont WV 44
3 27 " " 48
3 19. " " 43
3 27 " " 47
3 5 " " 46
7 13_ Alton Ill 53(I have 2 like this)

Those are my 7 bubbles

My only 8 bubble with mold # is my white swimsuit bottle

7 10 Alton Ill 36

Kept trying different ways to put this in a graph type form but couldn't seem to get it right

SODABOB

Reaction score
Rich

Thanks for the list but I might have messed up with the way I worded my request. Instead of mold number I should have said "style" numbers such as G94 - 4243G - 4285G. The second numbers on your list are mold "cavity" numbers they used to identify each individual mold on the bottle making machine in case one of them started forming defective bottles. If during the inspection of the finished bottles they detected any flaws, the "cavity" number would tell them which mold was the culprit and either repair or replace it as needed. Mold "cavity" numbers generally range between 1 and 20. I can't recall ever seeing a cavity number higher than 20, but there could be. Notice the cavity number 15 on the Hawaii bottle and the 2 and the 13 on your 3-1-3 bottles. But regardless of all of my gobblygook, I fully understand that the majority of your bottles have the G94 "style" number and were made at the Owens Illinois plant #3 in Fairmont, West Virginia. At some point I will combine our list but for now here's what I came up with. Let's focus on the Swimsuit labels and not the later bottles. My list only includes the plant number, the date code, and plant location, which are listed under three different style categories. Even though other glass companies made early 7up bottles, such as the Glenshaw Glass Company, my list only includes Owens Illinois bottles. Most sellers, and even a lot of collectors, don't realize that Glenshaw date codes are embossed on the reinforcing ring/lip of a bottle in the form of a letter that has to be translated, such as an "M" for 1941. Mainly I'm trying to determine which plants used which styles and if they are consistent. Anyway, here's what I found so far ...

Style 94G & G94 (I've seen both versions but they are basically the same style of bottle)

PLANT # / DATE / Plant Location

23 / 47 (1947) / Los Angeles
9 / 2. (1942) / Streator, Illinois
3 / 47 (1947) / Fairmont, W.V.
7 / 50 (1950) / Alton, Illinois
23 / 52 (1952) / Los Angeles
3 / 46 (1946) / Fairmont, W.V.

Style 4243G

23 / 3. (1943) (Hawaii Bottle) / Los Angeles
23 / 1. (iggy's 1941 3-1-3 bottles) / Los Angeles

Style 4285G

23 / 0. (1940) / Los Angeles
23 / 45 (1945) / Los Angeles

Amber Squat Bottles* - Style G853 - Usually embossed on the Heel and not the base

* I'm still working on these and will post more details later

And here's one the Owens Illinois plant charts again for a quick reference to the various plant numbers/locations. I will do a revised version for all of the above, including iggy's list, later on.

Owens Illinois Plant Chart (1).jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimp