found some new Ontario druggist bottles

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Hey RCO have you been to a bottle show recently? Have you noticed that prices have skyrocketed to ridiculous amounts? It's been a couple years since I made it to an Ontario show, but I went to the Longueuil show today and I came away with almost nothing except for postcards and bottle caps. It seems like prices for lower-end bottles have increased by 1000% over the past couple years, and that's not hyperbole. People were asking $10 for slicks and common meds, and $75 for ABM sodas that cost $5-10 at the last Ottawa show I went to. Last year's Longueuil show was pricey but not like this. I only came away with two ACL Quebec sodas from a cheap bottle box - one of only two such boxes in the entire show. Granted, there were some other cheaper offerings here and there, but still at the sort of prices that I would have considered on the pricey side not that long ago.

RCO

Reaction score
Hey RCO have you been to a bottle show recently? Have you noticed that prices have skyrocketed to ridiculous amounts? It's been a couple years since I made it to an Ontario show, but I went to the Longueuil show today and I came away with almost nothing except for postcards and bottle caps. It seems like prices for lower-end bottles have increased by 1000% over the past couple years, and that's not hyperbole. People were asking $10 for slicks and common meds, and $75 for ABM sodas that cost $5-10 at the last Ottawa show I went to. Last year's Longueuil show was pricey but not like this. I only came away with two ACL Quebec sodas from a cheap bottle box - one of only two such boxes in the entire show. Granted, there were some other cheaper offerings here and there, but still at the sort of prices that I would have considered on the pricey side not that long ago.

there was still a fair amount of $5 bottles at the last Toronto show

although a common complaint I here just about everywhere is asking prices for antiques and collectables are too high . that isn't just for bottles but other collectables and just in general , you'll hear people saying the prices for things are too high , at least the initial asking price is too high

I have seen some acl's on ebay where the asking price is very high and prices that seem much higher than I was used to seeing for those sorts of bottles ( bottles I wouldn't consider to be extremely rare ) , not sure if people are actually buying them or not . or if these are just initial asking prices and they eventually come down a little in order to actually make a sale

RCO

Reaction score
to further explain the higher ebay prices , I noticed a lot of the bottles going up for sale are from a collector from Toronto . who had previously been one of the main buyers of acl soda's . for some unknown reason he's now selling a lot of the bottles he had previously purchased off ebay

but since he paid top prices or ebay prices for them over the last couple of years , he's asking top dollar for everything , as much money as he paid or slightly more . it will be tough to find people willing to pay more if he was the highest bidder on these bottles , not sure how many he's actually sold , but he has a fair number listed for sale

update looked thru the sold listings he's only sold a couple acl's from Ontario and one said best offer accepted which was a fairly common bottle from Collingwood , I've seen sell for $10 ( price said $39.99 but doesn't say the lower price he took ) , he also sold a rare acl bottle from Credit Valley for $150 . but for all the bottles he's put online not many have sold

also sold 2 acl milk jugs , one for a crazy price

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/STAR-BEVERA...h=item56b9b16503:g:qE4AAOSwWXFb04E-:rk:1:pf:0

Last edited:

RCO

Reaction score
looked thru some of his bottles , couple I'd say are common

he has a Silver Foam from Sudbury Ontario , good condition but its very common , I have one but only paid maybe 50 cents at a yard sale , he wants $39.99 for his

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/SILVER-FOAM...=item1cbc316b51:g:WGoAAOSw5jhbs8h5:rk:16:pf:0

he also has a couple bottles from North Bay , Garlands beverage and Macdonald's steinie , both are really common , wants $39.00 and $29.99 , typically seen Garland bottles go for $10 around here and see the steinie all the time but usually not that nice

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/NORTH-BAY-ONTARIO-POP-BOTTLE-GARLANDS-BEVERAGES-in-CLEAR-GLASS-11-ozs/123416465603?hash=item1cbc31d0c3:g:VFIAAOSwXIhbnZSL:rk:29:pf:0

he also has a Robinson's ginger ale from perth Ontario , small town but I've seen this bottle often , have one and only paid $7 I think from an antique mall a few years back , he wants $29.99
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/ROBINSONS-G...=item1cbdfb1b1c:g:9aUAAOSw1XFbwQ4N:rk:24:pf:0

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
If they actually were selling for those prices I'd rent myself a table at the next show and cash in. I'd be sitting on a gold mine in that case. But I didn't see the stock on the tables decreasing much at all as the show went on. Maybe there just aren't many collectors interested in unloading things in Montreal. Ottawa always had some collectors looking to get rid of stuff. It's so strange, antique stores are closing down and people are worried about the death of the hobby, but around here the supply of cheap antiques has dried up almost completely over the last five years. I don't know what's going on. Standard market economics do not seem to be at play here.

RCO

Reaction score
If they actually were selling for those prices I'd rent myself a table at the next show and cash in. I'd be sitting on a gold mine in that case. But I didn't see the stock on the tables decreasing much at all as the show went on. Maybe there just aren't many collectors interested in unloading things in Montreal. Ottawa always had some collectors looking to get rid of stuff. It's so strange, antique stores are closing down and people are worried about the death of the hobby, but around here the supply of cheap antiques has dried up almost completely over the last five years. I don't know what's going on. Standard market economics do not seem to be at play here.

there has been a rash of antique store closing around here for some reason , since I only get to some of them very rarely I'm not exactly sure who all is still open and who's now closed

but has been a few surprise closures lately , in Orillia a small city of 30,000 . the large antique store downtown just announced its closing by the end of the year . which was a surprise as they only moved into there new location ( which is a nicely renovated building rate across from the library ) maybe 4 years ago after having been in another store downtown for many years . but I went in to check out there sale but not much interesting left in the store and some of the prices even with a large discount weren't a good deal , I bought 1 book and left

a small thrift/antique ish store just down the street from them also just closed at the end of October ( was also unaware they were closing ) , meaning there won't be any antique stores in that downtown by the end of the year

I have an extra Garlands bottle like his , if I felt I could get $40 for it , I'd sell it but I've honestly never seen one sell for that much . think he over paid and is now stuck trying to sell the bottle at a price too high for such a common bottle

RCO

Reaction score
[h=1]Antique Mall to close at end of September[/h]The Strathroy Antique Mall will close their doors at the end of September, once again putting the fate of the once-popular downtown building in limbo.

Louis Pin
More from Louis Pin

Published on: September 12, 2018 | Last Updated: September 9, 2018 2:56 PM EDT

https://www.strathroyagedispatch.com/news/local-news/antique-mall-to-close-at-end-of-september

( did a google search to see if any other antique malls or stores closed recently , at least one did . never made it to the antique mall in Strathroy Ontario ( near London ) but sounds like it was large at one point with 100 vendors but went down hill and started to lose money )

mctaggart67

Reaction score
Antique Mall to close at end of September

The Strathroy Antique Mall will close their doors at the end of September, once again putting the fate of the once-popular downtown building in limbo.

https://www.strathroyagedispatch.com/news/local-news/antique-mall-to-close-at-end-of-september

I find it interesting that declining sales are one reason the Strathroy mall is closing. I used to regularly check this mall's online postings and whenever I wanted something, I'd contact the mall operators about buying said items, shipping terms, etc. Out of around a dozen inquiries, I got one response and that was months later after that particular dealer pulled out of the mall. I've heard similar tales from other collectors of bottles and other things. Yes, I realize a few missed sales here and there may not add up to a huge amount of dough, but I think the poor response rate indicates the mall's management wasn't as aggressive for sales as other malls are. As far as I'm concerned, a retailer should do whatever it reasonably takes to make a sale, no matter how big or small.

RCO

Reaction score
I find it interesting that declining sales are one reason the Strathroy mall is closing. I used to regularly check this mall's online postings and whenever I wanted something, I'd contact the mall operators about buying said items, shipping terms, etc. Out of around a dozen inquiries, I got one response and that was months later after that particular dealer pulled out of the mall. I've heard similar tales from other collectors of bottles and other things. Yes, I realize a few missed sales here and there may not add up to a huge amount of dough, but I think the poor response rate indicates the mall's management wasn't as aggressive for sales as other malls are. As far as I'm concerned, a retailer should do whatever it reasonably takes to make a sale, no matter how big or small.

never been there so not sure what the problem was , but personally one of my biggest complaints with antique malls is stale merchandise . I have a good memory and often when I go back to these places 1 or 2 years later i'll see the same items still for sale .

if I was running an antique mall , I'd force the vendors to keep fresher stock and if items didn't sell after 6 months to a year , either have to reduce the price by a minimum of 25% or pull it entirely , wouldn't allow things to sit there for years and years if no one was interested in purchasing it at its current price

but it personally disappoints me to see antique malls or stores close as that makes it harder for me to find things , if these sorts of stores aren't there , is one less place I can find things

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora