Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Senior Member Bottle Master
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Ontario , Canada
    Posts
    2,505

    Neat assortment of old Bottle caps but everyone has a hole in it

    was flipping thru ebay and noticed a large number of old vintage soda bottle caps had suddenly appeared for sale . but every single one has a hole in the middle , according to seller they were nailed to the wall of a cabin . too bad , someone had the hindsight to save them years ago but didn't realise that by putting a hole in them all , he was killing there value down the road .

    looking thru there is only a few with bids so far , but many I haven't seen before , this orange crush cap is marked as being from welland Ontario , sort of unusual


    GREAT CAP COLLECTION COMING IN THE NEXT COUPLE WEEKS THEY WERE NAILED TO A WALL OF A CABIN SO ALL WILL HAVE SMALL NAIL HOLES SO PLEASE CHECK THE PICTURES BUT A PRETTY NICE COLLECTION WITH SOME VERY RARE CAPS


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l400.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	37.8 KB 
ID:	185249



    https://www.ebay.ca/itm/STUNNING-COR...f3k:rk:11:pf:0

  2. #2
    Senior Member Bottle Master
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,490
    Some nice caps there! I don't know if I'd say that the hole destroys the value. The rarest, oldest caps often have holes in them because they only survived due to a similar situation, similar to how the best milk caps are usually in rough shape. The wear on the paint on these is probably a bigger problem value-wise.

  3. #3
    Member New Bottler
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Connellsville, PA
    Posts
    90
    Someone might buy them on Ebay but there won't be a lot of heavy bidding. Would be ideal for someone else who wants to nail them to their wall! I tend to keep interesting bottle caps while out looking for bottles. Never know when I might need one later.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Bottle Master
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Ontario , Canada
    Posts
    2,505
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianBottles View Post
    Some nice caps there! I don't know if I'd say that the hole destroys the value. The rarest, oldest caps often have holes in them because they only survived due to a similar situation, similar to how the best milk caps are usually in rough shape. The wear on the paint on these is probably a bigger problem value-wise.
    don't really collect caps so have no idea as to there value in the current condition or if they didn't have the holes . looking thru them again , definitely some good ones there , a lot I haven't even seen before . have seen the bottles for many of these caps though , but the metal caps you don't see very often and most didn't survive

  5. #5
    Senior Member Bottle Master
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Ontario , Canada
    Posts
    2,505
    Quote Originally Posted by WesternPA-collector View Post
    Someone might buy them on Ebay but there won't be a lot of heavy bidding. Would be ideal for someone else who wants to nail them to their wall! I tend to keep interesting bottle caps while out looking for bottles. Never know when I might need one later.
    this example helps to explain the main problem with collectables , often something doesn't become " collectable " until its been completely gone from view for 30 or 40 years . these caps back in the 40's or 50's were worthless and held no value , so to put holes in them back then . to stick them to a wall , seemed like an ok thing to do

  6. #6
    Member New Bottler
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Kitchener Ontario
    Posts
    49
    I have question. I have a bunch of caps I collected over the years but only because they were there. Are they more collectable if they are used or unused? I usually put them in a 2"x2" dollar coin sleeve and slip them into a coin holder page. Protects them well.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Bottle Master
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,490
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL View Post
    I have question. I have a bunch of caps I collected over the years but only because they were there. Are they more collectable if they are used or unused? I usually put them in a 2"x2" dollar coin sleeve and slip them into a coin holder page. Protects them well.
    They're more collectible unused if unused examples are available. However, usually when one unused example is available hundreds more are as well, so the rarest and most collectible caps will usually be used.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Bottle Master
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Ontario , Canada
    Posts
    2,505
    the auction appears to be over , not all the caps sold but at least 25 or so did , I searched thru the sold listings . a few went for crazy prices, those not listed here only sold for opening bid of $6-$8 dollars . one went for $87 which seems insane for a cap with a hole in it , must of been very hard one to find or the only one out there

    - o'keefe's lemon set up $ 16
    - wishing well root beer $16
    - stubby ginger beer $10
    - stubby lime kola $10
    - C.W Wise Welland - lime crush $36
    - ****z kayo chocolate $47
    - wishing well lime rickey $87
    - stubby orange $ 30
    - sky hy Niagara falls orange $47
    - sky hy Niagara falls ginger ale $46
    - ****z orange $35
    - orange crush root beer $21
    - wishing well cream soda $ 26

  9. #9
    Senior Member Bottle Master
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,490
    Wow, I wouldn't have thought that any Wishing Well cap would have been in that high demand. Must have been a very rare one. Speaking of unusual flavours, I found a Sun Crest Pineapple cap recently, I didn't know that Sun Crest had multiple flavours. I also wish I could try pineapple soda, I don't think I've ever seen that for sale.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Bottle Master
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Ontario , Canada
    Posts
    2,505
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianBottles View Post
    Wow, I wouldn't have thought that any Wishing Well cap would have been in that high demand. Must have been a very rare one. Speaking of unusual flavours, I found a Sun Crest Pineapple cap recently, I didn't know that Sun Crest had multiple flavours. I also wish I could try pineapple soda, I don't think I've ever seen that for sale.

    I've seen both Fanta and Crush pineapple in cans here , think both were from the US and not made in Canada but somehow the variety stores are able to get those flavours . I found them very sweet and only tried them once



Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •