The Most Interesting Bottle I've Found In The Wild

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

WesternPA-collector

Reaction score
Yesterday I saw this Anchor Hocking "Congratulations High School Graduates Class of 1968" flask laying in a swampy area next to a murky pond in South Connellsville, only about a mile from the factory (plant 5) where it would have been made years ago. From a distance I could tell it was a flask and only hoped it was intact with no breaks. Very carefully I made my way to it without sinking into mud. I discovered there was actually not a single thing wrong with it besides being covered in so much grime I could hardly see the green color. I've gotten most of it off with a scouring pad on outside and toothbrush inside. But there are parts of it I can't get to. Does anyone know a good safe way to get the rest of the dirt removed inside? As a side note, I now own three Anchor flasks and they are all made of the same type of green glass that was used in the Rolling Rock bottles. The Rolling Rock contract kept the South Connellsville plant afloat for many decades. However in 2003 they lost that contract to Owens-Brockway and the factory ended up closing in 2004. https://www.glassonweb.com/news/anchor-glass-plant-loses-rolling-rock-business
DSCN8828.jpgDSCN8833.jpgDSCN8831.jpgDSCN8830.jpgDSCN8827.jpgDSCN8825.jpgDSCN8820.jpg

Last edited:

BottleDragon

Reaction score
Cool find!

For cleaning try a mixture of 1 part bleach to 4 parts water. It's especially effective on "pond scum". Just fill bottle and let sit for several hours, even overnight.

Some people prefer a more natural solution such as vinegar... worth a try if you don't have any bleach laying around.

WesternPA-collector

Reaction score
Cool find!

For cleaning try a mixture of 1 part bleach to 4 parts water. It's especially effective on "pond scum". Just fill bottle and let sit for several hours, even overnight.

Some people prefer a more natural solution such as vinegar... worth a try if you don't have any bleach laying around.

Thanks I will try bleach first then vinegar if that doesn't work. I have both available. I'll see what happens.

hemihampton

Reaction score
That's a nice bottle & Interesting. Congrats. LEON.

WesternPA-collector

Reaction score
I'm back. I've got the bottle looking more presentable now. The bleach did work wonders just by leaving it sit all night. Here's the results. I also added photos of the three Anchor Hocking flasks together. From left to right it's a 1971, 1967, and 1968. When they are all compared together I now see that the green is a different shade on all three of them.
DSCN8879.jpgDSCN8879.jpgDSCN8878.jpgDSCN8877.jpgDSCN8844.jpgDSCN8846.jpg

Last edited:

easywind

Reaction score
Good job on the reclean ! For whatever it's worth, I also have had good luck using Efferdent denture cleaner... really

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fancy2cu