Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Junior Member New Bottler
    Did they get a flask of Whiskey for Graduation ? LOL ! Did you find this bottle in Indiana ? There was a Anchor Plant in Winchester Ind.

Safe cleaning Method

Quote Originally Posted by BottleDragon View Post
    Cool find!

For cleaning try a mixture of 1 part bleach to 4 parts water. It's especially effective on "pond scum". Just fill bottle and let sit for several hours, even overnight.

Some people prefer a more natural solution such as vinegar... worth a try if you don't have any bleach laying around.
    I have just cleaned a few bottles from a dig that were completely encased in grime and slime. Clean them the usual way with a mild soap/ water/ bottle brush method first. Then fill the bottle with about 1" coarse salt. Add enough white vinegar to the salt in the bottle to make a slurry....a slightly thick but moveable salty liquid. Do not use so much vinegar that the salt dissolves. You want a thick liquid. Now SHAKE THE HECK out of it. Keep a finger over the opening so you don't end up wearing the stuff. This removes the stuck on dirt and deposits that cannot be reached within the bottle. I did have a couple of tough customers that I let hold the salt solution overnight. Next day they cleaned up well. This is by far the safest most effective and inexpensive way of cleaning out those stubborn, hard to reach areas of the bottle. Hope this helps.

Member New Bottler
    Quote Originally Posted by ponygirl View Post
    I have just cleaned a few bottles from a dig that were completely encased in grime and slime. Clean them the usual way with a mild soap/ water/ bottle brush method first. Then fill the bottle with about 1" coarse salt. Add enough white vinegar to the salt in the bottle to make a slurry....a slightly thick but moveable salty liquid. Do not use so much vinegar that the salt dissolves. You want a thick liquid. Now SHAKE THE HECK out of it. Keep a finger over the opening so you don't end up wearing the stuff. This removes the stuck on dirt and deposits that cannot be reached within the bottle. I did have a couple of tough customers that I let hold the salt solution overnight. Next day they cleaned up well. This is by far the safest most effective and inexpensive way of cleaning out those stubborn, hard to reach areas of the bottle. Hope this helps.
    Thanks. I mean to try this method next time.

Bleach is very effective, but it does smell bad and is hazardous -- and it can wreck your clothes. If the salt and vinegar is equally effective, that would become my preferred method.

Quote Originally Posted by easywind View Post
    Good job on the reclean ! For whatever it's worth, I also have had good luck using Efferdent denture cleaner... really
    i have used efferdent and let it sit for 24 hours. It is the best bottle cleaner I have found