Senior Member Bottle Finder PlaneDiggerCam's Avatar

Finally found an 1890s-1920s era marsh dump!

Over the weekend I went to the woods with a dump I had found a while back. I was not planning on digging at that spot, I was just hiking. As fate would have it I eventually stumbled upon an embankment into a marsh and when I looked down I saw remnants of a premier dressing bottle. I carefully climbed down the embankment and I couldn't believe it. There was glass, pottery, and metal everywhere in the marsh and on the bank. Most of it dated to the 1920s but there were many 1890s and older shards. I swiped my feet across the leaves and located some surface finds. I did not have any tools with me so I could only swipe the leaves. I also found a broken New England Bottling Co. From Westerly, and a broken Jacob Wirth and Co. Blob. I will go back to this spot when I am able to and I will dig, I can't wait!!!

Here are the surface finds:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181029_191213.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	53.9 KB 
ID:	185341

Left to Right: blank 1930s medicine, 3 in 1 oil, blown blank med, broken 2 oz Wheelers drug store Mystic, Conn (crier), and a P.E.P. and Co. Patented jar (oyster jar?).

Member New Bottler
    Pretty nice find! Feels good to stumble onto something like that doesn't it?

It sounds like the area has a lot of potential, so it should be fun to see what else you can pull out of there.

Senior Member Bottle Master hemihampton's Avatar
    Yeah, Sounds like some good Potential if you found a blob. Is it gettiing too Cold to dig & do you have to wait till spring. Bottles in water that freeze can break unfortunately. LEON.

Senior Member Bottle Master
    Sounds exciting! You may want to invest in a pair of hip waders. You can get them for about $50 and I usually make my money back in 1-2 marsh digs. If you can post a picture or two of the site I can give you some suggestions of how to go about digging it.

It will be getting cold soon, but I will try to get some digging hopefully in. Ribottleguy, I will post some pictures when I get around to going back. I think my marsh dump is a bit small, but I haven't really found the edges yet either.

Senior Member Bottle Finder Screwtop's Avatar
    Those are some nice finds! I can't wait to see what else you pull out!
    In all my perplexity's and distresses, the Bible has never failed to give me light and strength.
    - Robert E. Lee

Here are some pictures I took. The red line is the bottom area of the dump while the red arrows symbolize where it starts to incline. When the photos were taken the mud is flooded because it is a higher tide but at low tide mud and bottles are visible.

Name:	20181030_144604.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	178.8 KB 
ID:	185345

Name:	20181030_142114.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	130.1 KB 
ID:	185346

Name:	20181030_141856.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	180.0 KB 
ID:	185347

Here is a surface find I spotted while taking the photos, a watermans ink...

Name:	20181030_145436.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	35.2 KB 
ID:	185348

Today I will be visiting this dump and actually digging finally. I will dig for at least a couple hours and I will post my finds when I get them cleaned up. Hopefully I get some 1890s bottles!

Good Luck! I hope you bring home some good ones.

Junior Member New Bottler
    Fingers crossed!