Two broken pontils- How old are they?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

WesternPA-collector

Reaction score
Today I came across two pre-1900's bottles that were sadly broken. I'm just trying to find out how old they are, to determine if it's worth going back again and trying to find some intact ones. I don't generally know a lot about bottles from this era.
DSCN9565.jpg

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Are you sure they're pontils? They look like pretty standard European champagne bottles. Hard to date but if they do have pontils then they could date to the 1870s or before. They aren't something that I'd specifically seek out unless there's something about them that's more special than the photo lets on, but there could be something else there worth looking for.

WesternPA-collector

Reaction score
Maybe that is simply what they are. I didn't see anything particularly special about them. I find lots of pieces here that look interesting, but I think that most have been destroyed by excavation for a pipeline that was put in years ago.

hemihampton

Reaction score
Looks like the bottom of a Wine or Champagne Bottle with what some call a Kick Up Bottom. Hard to date these as they might even make them like that today or recently. LEON.

sandchip

Reaction score
Need a good shot of inside the cleaned up kick-up to tell, and still may not be able to say one way or the other.

saratogadriver

Reaction score
Pontiled or not they are likely 1900 or before. So definitely worth continuing to work the site.

Jim G

WesternPA-collector

Reaction score
Thank you all for your comments. This area is not real far from where I found a straight-side amber Coke bottle before. So it does hold some promise. I'll go back again.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
They're likely a similar era to your Coke bottle then. Since these were made in Europe they used older techniques longer into the 20th century than you'll find from the States, but they still look old enough to be worthy of further investigation. And if you found a straight-side Coke there then the area definitely has some serious potential.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Panama Canal digger