Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Member New Bottler
    Nov 18: Was exploring in the same general area, about 0.5 km from the last dump. Followed a stream into a grove of cedar trees where I found several more dumps with mostly 60's and 70's junk, rusted metal, etc. But I did find this shard in the stream...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shard.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	30.3 KB 
ID:	185673

Name:	texture.jpg 
Size:	33.7 KB 
ID:	185674

Name:	base1.jpg 
Size:	44.9 KB 
ID:	185675

Name:	base2.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	46.1 KB 
ID:	185676

Hoping this means there's an older dump here. This looks like the sort of area that would have been used for dumping over a long period of time, given the age of the trees and the fact that the land isn't usable for anything else. The area dates to roughly the 1880's.

Member New Bottler
    Any guesses on the age?

Not much I can add. The glass has an uneven texture and there are no mold seams visible. The base is marked only with the number 557 and a "C".

I think (not sure) it has a sand pontil mark. There is some roughness, but less than I'd expect... however it was in a stream, so it could have been polished somewhat.
    Last edited by BottleDragon; 11-24-2018 at 01:58 AM.

Senior Member Bottle Master
    I'd guess 1890s to 1930s as a date range. Likely European. That's not a sand pontil, it's just rough glass from the manufacturing process I'm afraid. When I lived in BC I'd often find pieces or sometimes whole examples of that sort of bottle sitting somewhere in the woods with nothing else around, probably after some logger finished it 100 years ago. I'd always search around for signs of something else but rarely would there be anything, and if there was it would just be a few items, almost always more broken European alcohol bottles with no sign of anything local. These loggers seemed to be pretty consistent in not drinking beer that came in interesting bottles.

Member New Bottler
    I suspected it might be European... I know that certain bottles over there were made with the older techniques later than in NA, which might account for the crudeness. It felt like there was some sand embedded in the glass, but it might be just stuck in the rough areas due to laying in the stream for so long.

Well, this area was logged mainly in the 1880's... so this particular bottle is probably not from a logger. I suspect it was more likely a homesteader, which means there still could be a dump in the area... though finding it may prove a challenge.

Senior Member Bottle Master
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianBottles View Post
    I'd guess 1890s to 1930s as a date range. Likely European. That's not a sand pontil, it's just rough glass from the manufacturing process I'm afraid. When I lived in BC I'd often find pieces or sometimes whole examples of that sort of bottle sitting somewhere in the woods with nothing else around, probably after some logger finished it 100 years ago. I'd always search around for signs of something else but rarely would there be anything, and if there was it would just be a few items, almost always more broken European alcohol bottles with no sign of anything local. These loggers seemed to be pretty consistent in not drinking beer that came in interesting bottles.

I recall reading about this in a local history book , how loggers would leave behind green wine bottles and such in the middle of the forest , seems like an odd thing to do now but back in the days seems to have happened a fair bit . people weren't worried about littering and was no reason to bring an empty bottle back with them

Member New Bottler
    Excellent