Trying to find out what this old pharmacy bottle contained.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

moth_wings

Reaction score
It says Aa. Colonium. I have been researching and posting to different forums and getting nowhere with this enigma. The bottle is being sold in the United States but I have no idea if it is from another country. People have suggested it is cologne, but I just don't know. We even found one entry in a medical text referring to colonium in parenthesis as radium, but I really think that was just a misspelling of polonium. Any input would be great because google just thinks i'm misspelling colonial when I try to look it up.

received_209893156607723.jpg

sandchip

Reaction score
Nice! Maybe an older doctor or pharmacist could be of some help. They always seem to have a pile of early reference books that might have the answer. Good luck.

sandchip

Reaction score
I've reached out to a couple of pharmacist friends who said they'll see what they can find out. I'm in no way qualified to be guessing but one possibility is ammoniated cologne. Another is simply cologne water (Aqua).

Last edited:

treasurekidd

Reaction score
Aa is a pharmacy abbreviation for "of each", from the Latin Ana. The only reference I could find for colonium was a Latin reference to colonium meaning "from Cologne, Italy". Good luck, that's a great bottle!

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi