Can anyone tell me anything about this maker mark?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

mikebottle97

Reaction score
Hello,

I am an archaeologist working on a saloon project that dates from 1890-1915. One of the bases we recovered has what appears to be two figures with hats and canes leaning against a square (possibly a crest?) that has some detail on the interior topped by a crown (See attached photo).

I am not sure if this maker mark dates before 1900; however, when I compared it to the rest of our collection it seemed to be more in line with the older bottles. In my opinion, it is likely a product from England as the crown might suggest, but I am not certain. Any information on this base would be greatly appreciated as it is a very unique piece in our collection and I am hoping to make sense of it and give it the attention it deserves.

Thank you.

Attachments

• 20181112_163121.jpg
    20181112_163121.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 342

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Huh, I've never seen that one before. I don't know about England specifically but it probably is from Europe. If that's the case then dating it by the style of manufacture is difficult, as they continued using glassblowing methods into the 1930s that were phased out in the US by the 1910s. In terms of the coat of arms, the two figures are leaning against a shield but I can't make out what's printed on the shield. Maybe some sort of animal or flower? The figure on the right appears to be wearing a large hat and carrying a gun, so possibly a musketeer? I can't make out much detail on the figure on the left.
I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with the US Civil War, all sorts of coats of arms have that general look to them.

nhpharm

Reaction score
Base to a J.A. Gilka bottle (Berlin) if I am not mistaken. We dig those by the bucket load here in Galveston, probably because of the number of German immigrants.

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
Here's the story on one Gilka bottle that would fit the time-frame of the archeological exploration (note the 1911 date on the foil seal). It's unlikely that this non-alcoholic version of kummel was popular in a tavern, but Prohibition feelings were running high in the USA at the time. This version was, no doubt, an effort by Gilka to preserve its American market.

gilka_kummel.JPGgilka_kummel_base.JPGgilka_kummel_label.JPGgilka_kummel_seal1911.JPG

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi