Small insulator Group

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

yacorie

Reaction score
Hi All - new to the forum and have been trying to add some pictures of various bottles/jars.

Here is a small collection of insulators that I've accumulated from various locations. I don't know anything about insulators except for what I see online and google.

I tried to look up the CD numbers from a link on the site here but man was I confused - didn't even know where to start. Anyway, just though i would share what i have at the house. I'll try to write down what is on them in case anyone cares.

Picture 1 - left to right. 3 Hemingray No 40; Whitehall Tatum No1 Made in the USA; Whitehall Tatum No 1 31-42; Faint numbers on the top - looks like it says Feb 22 1870 on one side and NY on the other; Brookfield; W Brookfield New York; Brookfield.

Picture 2 - A closer view of the ones on the left

Picture 3 - A closer view of the ones on the right

Picture 4 - Brookfield with IO on top of insulator; AM Tel & Tel Co with 3 on top of insulator; B on 2 sides of the insulator and a D on the top; Whitehall Tatume No 3; Brookfield New York with what looks like a 1 on top of insulator; Armstrong No 2; Armstrong's CSC; 2 porcelain insulators

Picture 5 - another angle of the insulators

Attachments

• Insulator 1 (1).jpg
    Insulator 1 (1).jpg
    32 KB · Views: 290
  • Insulator 2.jpg
    Insulator 2.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 226
  • Insulator 3.jpg
    Insulator 3.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 283
  • Insulator 4.jpg
    Insulator 4.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 282
  • Insulator 5.jpg
    Insulator 5.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 288

BillinMo

Reaction score
There is a learning curve to learning and using the CD numbering system. Just about everyone experiences some frustration with it at some point or another. But here's something to get you started, L to R in your group.

Hemingray 40 is CD 152. It was the Western Union standard insulator from 1911 to the early 1920s. Brookfield also produced this style, but theirs usually doesn't have drip points (that's the far left one in your first photo).

Whitall Tatum No 1 started in the 1920s and is CD 154. The light aqua is the earlier style.

The later type of Whitall Tatum 1 is CD 155. The code 31-42 on yours indicates a mold made in 1942. It's similar to the CD 154 but the edges are beefier to prevent damage.

The next one is a CD 133. I suspect it's a faintly embossed Brookfield.

CD 102 Brookfield pony, used for local telephone lines.

The next one I think is a CD 134. An inner skirt will make a difference in CD number, though, and I can't quite tell from the photo if it has one.

Next group - the two on the left are CD 121. Am Tel & Tel used this style on short distance local lines, known as a "toll" insulator.

CD 145 B, made by Brookfield. Collectors call this a "beehive."

CD 115 Whitall Tatum No 3. This is an "exchange" used on telephone lines.

CD 102 Brookfield pony.

CD 122. This is the newer type of toll. Armstrong bought out Whitall Tatum in 1938 and kept producing into the 1960s.

CD 128 Armstrong CSC. These are a carrier type produced after WW2 for high-frequency telephone lines.

I couldn't tell you much about the porcelain since they're more difficult to identify from a photo. These are probably types for low voltage power distribution. Any markings?

yacorie

Reaction score
Hil BillinMo - thank you for taking the time to provide the CD numbers for these insulators. Now I should be able to back out of the numbers and hopefully learn how to use it and get more familiar with the system. I'll have to check on the porcelain ones when I get home. I'm guessing they didn't have any markings that I saw but will certainly check again.

Mr. Hemingray

Reaction score
The porcelain pieces will have U-numbers, U=Unipart. I am a glass guy but do have a bunch of porcelain in my inventory. However I am not versed at all on U and M(multipart) numbers.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi