Super rare Confederate Staff Officers button

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Screwtop

Reaction score
I have only gone relic hunting once, and this was my fourth relic. I probably won't top this one unless I dig up a cannon, or Gen. Lee's golden spurs.

This is a general officers staff button. It is a one piece local with shank and no back mark. It is modeled off of an 1830's US army officers button. I dug this up at an old 1700's house site. The house was most likely destroyed by the rebels after crossing a ford in the Rappahannock river just yards away. General J.E.B. Stuart's entire Calvary corps rode past this house on their way to Gettysburg.

I found the house site by accident this march. It was an organised relic hunting event in Virginia called DIV (Diggin' In Virginia). The organizers gave us a map, but they never told us about the old home.

NSTCW22.jpg

sandchip

Reaction score
That's incredible. What a great button! Thanks for sharing it with us.

Screwtop

Reaction score
I had Civil War button expert William Leigh look at it, and he said that the buttons value would be from $800-$1,000. They are very rare.

Warf rat

Reaction score
That is very nice, and what a cool story. No confederate stuff out here unfortunately.

Gunsmoke

Reaction score
That's a GREAT find screwtop! I am an avid metal detectorist and have been since the 1980's. Love artifact hunting. Congratulations on that button! And the history that goes with it makes it even sweeter.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi