Creek gave up a couple...

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

sandchip

Reaction score
Got through working early yesterday. Well, I never get through but it was nice out, so I quit. Sue me! Hit the creek which was up a little. Had to take it easy so as not to get a wader full of cold water, but the regular rains recently had blown things out around logs and all. Spotted a few where it was shallow enough to see with the water being a little cloudy and all. Between the deep spots and the rippling, I doubt that I covered more than 30%, so I'm gonna get some chest waders and go back with the view bucket and scope out the deep areas. No embossing, but I'll take a pontil and an applied top seam-side any day. Beats nothing!

pontil.jpg pontil1.jpg flask.jpg

Th
at must have been one bored, bucktoothed beaver!

beaver.jpg

sandchip

Reaction score
Wow, to think it had been waiting there 140+ years!

And I've walked over them for over 40 years. It's amazing how many times I've walked that creek and it keeps on producing. Never a lot or anything earthshaking, but still fun. It rains, the creek swells, the sand and gravel shift, something may surface, walk it, repeat. Can't wait to hit it again!

Warf rat

Reaction score
Those are the kind of slicks I would really like to find. Really like the pair. What is a view bucket? Good day ch

Last edited:

yacorie

Reaction score
Nice finds. We've used view tubes for work but I never thought about using one for searching streams for bottles - pretty good idea.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Nice finds! I'd be happy with slicks if I was finding slicks like that, especially the one with the pontil. Those are really hard to find up here.

Those are the kind of slicks I would really like to find. Really like the pair. What is a view bucket? Good day ch
A view bucket is just a bucket with the bottom cut out and replaced with clear plastic. You stick it part way into the water and you can see through the ripples and reflections.

RelicRaker

Reaction score
Very cool!
There's a site in my area that had been a dump in the 1880s. Last year developers opened up the ground to lay a building foundation, and I was able to pull more than 30 bottles from the hole and the exposed use layer. The project stalled a few months later, and tho the building's up, there's still a lot of open ground to explore for smalls, inkwells, and marbles. So I go back every so often to check if the rains have revealed anything. A few days ago I went back and found a small, slick aqua bottle with a tooled lip, 1875-1885, under a debris pile. How it survived 140 years plus the dig and the weather, I can't imagine. But it always pays to look.
HH

GLASSHOPPER55

Reaction score
Yes it always amazes me how a bottle can survive amid bulldozers and trucks driving all around construction/demolition sites.

It's like the bottles (and their history) were meant to live on!

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
Congrats Sand. That is some early glass. Get some embossed ones next time and you're killing it!

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi