Galveston Dig

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

nhpharm

Reaction score
Been a while since I posted a dig here so figured I'd get one up. Went digging last Sunday and ended up digging 5 holes. First was a trash pit-found one local pharmacy bottle. Second through fourth holes were duds...stuff was too new (1930's). Fifth hole was a nice 4' x 4' x 6' privy loaded with glass from 1900-1915 or so. Mostly broken, but I did rustle up 4 more local pharmacy bottles, a couple local hutch sodas, a very hard to find large Galveston brewing bottle (these commonly come in a smaller size but this larger (quart?) size is the first intact one I have dug in 7 years), and a super hard to find Galveston flask...also the first of this variation I have dug in 7 years. A super hole and I'm aching to get back out and do some more digging this coming weekend!

Attachments

• IMG_2210.jpg
    IMG_2210.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 1,070
  • IMG_2211.jpg
    IMG_2211.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 1,065
  • IMG_2214.jpg
    IMG_2214.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 1,060
  • IMG_2215.jpg
    IMG_2215.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 1,035
  • IMG_2213.jpg
    IMG_2213.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 1,034

nhpharm

Reaction score
Privies can be hit or miss...and there is a lot of variation from lot to lot and from city to city on how productive they are. Typically the bigger the city, the better your odds of finding trash in the privy. The privies in some places can be super deep as well and require more than one person to dig them; Galveston they don't get any deeper than about 8' due to the water table. Of course you see the good stories here on the forum...but a lot of privies turn up nothing at all.

yacorie

Reaction score
Privies can be hit or miss...and there is a lot of variation from lot to lot and from city to city on how productive they are. Typically the bigger the city, the better your odds of finding trash in the privy. The privies in some places can be super deep as well and require more than one person to dig them; Galveston they don't get any deeper than about 8' due to the water table. Of course you see the good stories here on the forum...but a lot of privies turn up nothing at all.

That makes sense. I was thinking of privies that might have been associated with mid 1700s houses here in town. Perhaps thats not something that would work out but having been on some of the properties with a metal detector - there are no obvious signs of a dump.

sandchip

Reaction score
I'd be thrilled with any of those finds. The flask is killer. Love the deep blue aqua on the Hutch. I could go on and on. Great job!

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Those are some great finds! I'd be itching to get out again too after finding bottles like that.

nhpharm

Reaction score
Went out again on Sunday with my son (he's 7). Found an area just loaded with little tiny trash pits...and many of them had hutch sodas in them. Pulled out 10 total Galveston hutch sodas...some had damage but still a pretty incredible haul for me...usually lucky to find one or two in a day. Also found a few Galveston crown tops including one that is very tough to find...a fat Lone Star Bottling Works with F.C.M. Greb embossed. Never dug one before...they are a bit strange dimensionally. Also found a North Western Brewery bottle from Chicago...not sure how it traveled all the way to Galveston. I'll try to take some photos this evening.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora