Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Galveston Dig

Senior Member Bottle Finder
    Quote Originally Posted by nhpharm View Post
    Got out Sunday again with my son and dug a pair of privies. The first was a big 1860's/1870's privy that had been heavily dipped (always bad news). Found a couple of bottles under a center horizontal brace in the privy (an amber flask with a star embossed, an umbrella ink bottle, and a few slicks). All the way down in one corner I found a nice early W. Hekelnkaemper Atchison Kansas blob top soda bottle...the prize of the day. Second privy was from the same time period but shaped more like a trough and had a nice big peppersauce bottle, an embossed English blackglass bottle, and a few other odds and ends in it. Always nice to get into some earlier stuff...never know what you might find! It was rainy and cold so we called it a day a bit earlier than normal.
    That sounds like a great time. Great job finding and being able to dig the privies.

Senior Member Bottle Master
    Here is some photos of my finds from Sunday.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2350.jpg   IMG_2351.jpg   IMG_2352.jpg   IMG_2353.jpg   IMG_2354.jpg  

IMG_2355.jpg  

more great bottles. How will you clean out that bottom one?

The flaky iridescence will flake off with a bit of a scrub. A little acid on the inside will clean up the inside mineral deposits. The bottle will retain heavy interior and exterior haze unless someone tumbles it. I like them as they are so if I sell it and someone wants to tumble it, that is their prerogative. Down here in Texas, most bottles come out quite hazy due to the composition of the soil.

Great assortment of bottles.

Senior Member Bottle Master GLASSHOPPER55's Avatar
    Wow an umbrella ink. Is it pontiled? Nice stuff!
    "Digging Up the Past --- One Bottle at a Time, Since 1969"

Nope...but didn't miss the pontil by much.

Went out Sunday again. Dug a couple holes and found these two treasures. Civil War USN soap or shaving container and an amber JJ Schott druggist. These colored pharmacy bottles are tough to find!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2413.jpg   IMG_2414.jpg  

That amber Schott druggist is amazing. I never knew there was a colored druggist bottle from Galveston! Great finds!

There are actually a few. Schott had three different styles that were amber, though this is by far the best looking variation. Leinbach had both amber and teal ones. All of them are super hard to find; I think the Leinbachs are probably the easiest to find...I've seen a few of them for sale whereas I've never see a colored Schott for sale.