A couple of Quanah, Texas druggist bottles

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

BF109

Reaction score
Hi all, just wanted to share these. Dug up years ago in the Quanah dump.

RAMSEY & MARRS
DRUGGISTS
QUANAH, TEX.

YOUR DRUGGIST
E.B. CASKEY
QUANAH, TEX.

Thanks for looking! :)

Attachments

• IMG_9553.JPG
    IMG_9553.JPG
    31.3 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_9561.JPG
    IMG_9561.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 171

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Nice ones! I really like that backwards Q, I can't remember seeing another backwards letter on a pharmacy bottle before, usually they seemed to be pretty good about quality control on those.

sandchip

Reaction score
I've seen backwards letters, but never the letter "Q". Those are some very nice Texas pharmacy bottles, 109. Here's one of mine that some of you may've already seen, with a backwards "N". "Chemists" is an archaic term for pharmacists and druggists.

C&C1.jpg

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Wow, that's one absolute beauty of a bottle! I don't think I've seen that one on here before. Alabama isn't a state I normally associate with early pontilled bottles.

sandchip

Reaction score
Wow, that's one absolute beauty of a bottle! I don't think I've seen that one on here before. Alabama isn't a state I normally associate with early pontilled bottles.

Thanks much and I hope BF109 will forgive me for throwing it on. And not to change the direction of his thread, but for anyone's benefit that might be interested, there are a few, all extremely rare pontils from Alabama. Mine is probably the most common, with no more than 7 examples, all varying to some degree in color, lip finish, etc. The aqua IP Talledega Sulfur Water: one known. The black IP gallon Bailey Springs Water, Florence, Ala.: one known. The emerald green IP Saunders Compound Syrup of Styllingia...Mobile: 2 known. And you're right in your thinking because Alabama was such a poor agricultural state at that time with little commerce and industry.

Warf rat

Reaction score
Nice bottles!!! Didn't the have to carve it into a wood mold? Wouldn't you have to carve it backwards for it to come out. Any way it would be difficult to do? Best ch

sandchip

Reaction score
I agree that it would have to be difficult either way to cut any lettering or decoration into a mold, but iron molds were used in most commercial bottle production. Wood will work for the short term, but will not hold up the the repeated impact of the molten glass over a long period of time.

BF109

Reaction score
Thanks guys! I've got a few more i'm going to post soon. Sandchip, that is one nice bottle you got there!

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi