Few Milks - can't find information on one from langhorne, PA

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

yacorie

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Just going through various bottles that I have and trying to decide what to keep and what to get rid of.

Below is a picture of three. Shrewsbury Dairy (NJ), Deckers Dairy and Penn Arco Dairy.

I can't seem to find any information on the Penn Arco Dairy bottle. I've tried to include a shot of that one on its own too. It has the name John W Beiler and Langhorne PA embossed on the front as well.

Does anyone have any information on this dairy or any suggestions on where to look?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0875.jpg
    IMG_0875.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 290
  • IMG_0876.jpg
    IMG_0876.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 246

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
I found one mention to it here http://www.nockamixon.us/BC/Langhorne/Eastburns_Attleborough/OldAttleborough.htm But all that tells you is that it was in existence in 1929 and where in the town it was located. Milk bottles are a tough one to research because there's usually not much info out there if it's a smaller dairy. For me with milks I generally keep it if it's from an area of interest to me and sell it if it isn't.

yacorie

Reaction score
Thank you CanadianBottles, I appreciate.

It has definitely proven difficult to find information for a few of the milk bottles I have here at the house. This is one that I couldn't find anything on or any examples of other bottles from this particular farm.

nhpharm

Reaction score
John W. Beiler was born on June 29, 1899 (to Gideon & Mary Beiler in Upper Leacock, PA) and died on September 15, 1991. Gideon was listed as a laborer in a creamery in 1900 and manufacturing butter in 1910. In 1920, Gideon is in Conshohocken as an ice cream maker and John W. is listed as a laborer. In the 1940 census, John W. Beiler is listed as a milk dealer in Langhorne.

yacorie

Reaction score
Thank you for the information Nhpharm.

I guess this bottle was just associated with that individual and local to Langhorne. I was thinking that perhaps multiple small time dairy farmers were bottling under Penn Arco but since I can't seem to find any other Penn Arco bottles or information about it, I guess thats probably not the case.

nhpharm

Reaction score
I think you are right...Penn Arco was some sort of cooperative, I believe. Not sure if each dairy in the cooperative had their own bottles or if Beiler fronted the cooperative at some point...

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora