Senior Member Bottle Finder

Oakland Maryland Coke Bottle

Today the weather was unseasonably warm for December in Pennsylvania so I went out on a bottle excursion. Lots of broken Cokes were seen but then towards the end of the day I did find this hobble-skirt Coke bottle from Oakland, Maryland which is a first for me. Would it have a higher value due to the fact that Oakland is such a small town? I can't even find any of them on Ebay. It's a 1956 Owens-Illinois made at Plant 12, Gas City, Indiana
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0515.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	49.3 KB 
ID:	186362Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0522.jpg 
Size:	35.7 KB 
ID:	186363
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0530.jpg 
Size:	52.8 KB 
ID:	186360Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0525.jpg 
Size:	51.6 KB 
ID:	186361

Senior Member Bottle Master sandchip's Avatar
    It might be worth a bit more, but primarily to collectors from that area and possibly of even more interest to a Maryland collector of that state's Cokes who is trying to obtain an example from each town that had a bottling plant. It does seem that the smaller the town, the greater the interest, because they tend to be more rare. Beyond that, the interest and subsequently, the value diminishes.

Quote Originally Posted by sandchip View Post
    It might be worth a bit more, but primarily to collectors from that area and possibly of even more interest to a Maryland collector of that state's Cokes who is trying to obtain an example from each town that had a bottling plant. It does seem that the smaller the town, the greater the interest, because they tend to be more rare. Beyond that, the interest and subsequently, the value diminishes.
    That's exactly what I was thinking. In fact since I can't find more examples of one online I'm just going to keep it for myself. I might not ever find another one.

Senior Member Bottle Master sandchip's Avatar
    I wouldn't blame you. Cool place name.

Senior Member Bottle Master hemihampton's Avatar
    Porters Coke book calls it common but there is a 1915 version the book calls Rare or R+. LEON.

Quote Originally Posted by hemihampton View Post
    Porters Coke book calls it common but there is a 1915 version the book calls Rare or R+. LEON.
    Thanks for the info, that's good to know!