What's the deal, why all but worthless?!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

hemihampton

Reaction score
Why do you worry about value? No one appreciates the type of bottles I collect and I still love them and the history behind them. I have never been sad that others do not appreciate them and a large part of the time it makes it easy for me to acquire them as no one else wants them. I enjoy the hobby for the people in it and the friendships that can be gained. Collect what you like and like what you collect. Bottles are made of glass which in itself makes them pretty much worthless anyway. Friends... are priceless.

I appreciate the bottles you collect Bruce. LEON.

new2bottles

Reaction score
I definitely collect what I like, not what's trending. I'm not really bitching either, just amazed I can get what I want so cheaply. I mean, why would I be complaining about being a buyer in a buyer's market?! I might be complaining about the relatively high cost of shipping. But that's just odd. As I say, I think they're still cheap (enough), or else I wouldn't buy them. So, confession, I don't dig and I don't go to markets. Just eBay. Here are some more, all very recent purchases as I've only been doing this since fall. One more 'confession': I boil everything, and clean them with sincerity. I think every bottle I've ever bought has benefited, many to an amazing degree.

Attachments

• IMG_3295.jpg
    IMG_3295.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 271
  • IMG_3296.jpg
    IMG_3296.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 262

iggyworf

Reaction score
All those bottles are beautiful! I have never seen an embossed Red rock before. I collect Hi klas bottles since they are from my home state. That link Bob gave is a great site for old 'deco' designs. Try not to limit yourself to just ebay either.
r

WesternPA-collector

Reaction score
Some more great looking bottles you acquired. Maybe someone kept those in a barn, garage, or house for many years. Because they would not look as nice if they were dug up somewhere. Get them while you can. Next year shipping prices are going up, again.

GLASSHOPPER55

Reaction score
They would sell easily. The question is for how much? For $2.50 or $25?

I don't think there are any set prices on some bottles (especially nowdays). Many variables like geographical location, what venue you sell them at, the people that frequent that venue, what bottles are hot (and what are not) at any given time, etc. Just put a price on it and see how people react to it, and go from there. If you're buying bottles cheap, others may want to do the same. And, like others here have said, we are a niche crowd in 2018.

SODABOB

Reaction score
Although I have been collecting and researching soda bottles for 40+ years, my favorites are the ACL Big Chief's and not Decos. However, over the years I have always liked the Nehi "Top of the World" Deco bottle. You may have noticed on the link I posted earlier that the "Top of the World" bottle is pictured at the top of the page. Even though I don't own one of these bottles, I have heard it is a must-have for Deco soda bottle collectors. The main reason I'm mentioning it is because it ties in with what I asked earlier about what the top three Deco soda bottles might be and what it is about them that makes them so popular? Combine that with the fact that its pictured on the homepage of the Deco link suggest that it could very well be one of the most sought after Deco soda bottles available. Not to mention that the word "Top" is actually embossed on the bottle as in "Top of the World"

I just checked eBay and there is not one currently listed. If you are not familiar with the bottle you will be surprised to discover how small it is. But I don't think the price for them is small ... ???

Check it out

1927 Patent

Nehi Top of the World Deco Bottle Patent 1927 - Edited.jpg

Nehi Top of the World Deco Soda Bottle  - Edited.jpg

Nehi Top of the World Deco Soda Bottle - Edited.jpg

Last edited:

new2bottles

Reaction score
Some more great looking bottles you acquired. Maybe someone kept those in a barn, garage, or house for many years. Because they would not look as nice if they were dug up somewhere. Get them while you can. Next year shipping prices are going up, again.
I've bought a few that were definitely dug, because I still considered them 'good', as in, I thought they might be rare and I'd wait a long time to get a nicer one. But, in fact, I reject case wear bottles faster than I do dug ones. Dug doesn't mean bad, plus boiling them and spending time cleaning gets some pretty amazing results. Bottle on the right end was explicitly stated to be dug, but a good cleaning removed all evidence of that.

Attachments

• IMG_3286.jpg
    IMG_3286.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 261

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Yeah dug bottles really depend on where they were dug. Something that was buried in a household dump that mostly contained compost in a non-mineralized area won't be likely to have any serious staining. Something buried in a dump full of coal ash will generally look considerably worse. By the way I really like that Spanish soda water bottle. Where's it from, Mexico? I don't remember seeing deco sodas from outside of the US and Canada before, and even in Canada we don't have that many really interesting designs.

new2bottles

Reaction score
IMG_3184.jpg
By the way I really like that Spanish soda water bottle. Where's it from, Mexico?
It came from Puerto Rico and was relatively expensive. It has a sister bottle, see pic. Speaking of Canadian soda, I buy occasionally from Canada, some nice things.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fancy2cu