What's the deal, why all but worthless?!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

bottle-o-pop

Reaction score
I simply love deco bottles. Even with so many now, i enjoy getting each new one in the mail! It totally makes my week. I look at it several times a day, appreciating the artwork of it.

It's not an investment. No way. But, I don't care :) It is partly the thrill-of-the hunt, the thrill-of-the-find, as well as the appreciation of a bygone art.

I've been to hundreds of antique stores and malls. Hint: when in an antique store, you have to look high and low, because that's where they put the bottles! It costs a lot of money to drive to antique stores, and even more, sometimes, to drive to an antique or bottle show. That's how I justify a creepy shipping cost; no gasoline, no restaurants, no motels, no oil & tires costs, and no commuting time.

I must admit I do miss the antique stores and bottle shows though. I used to live within an early morning driving distance to them, but now I live in a remote area and the nearest bottle show is hundreds of miles away.

There are so many kinds of antiques collect, and even so many kinds of bottles to collect. It's important, I think, to limit one's scope. It's more fun that way, actually. With bottles, i just stick with decos (short for decorated). There are still so MANY! :rolleyes:

So, back to you, new2bottles, I really like your decos!

I haven't tried boiling any bottles. What does it do?

Eric

Reaction score
true but most of the bottles I have , there much older than me , I don't remember drinking them

much like the original poster I just sort of became interested in art deco soda's and acl soda's

often I'm actually more interested in bottles I have never seen before , cause there more unusual or perhaps rarer if I've never even seen one yet

but I agree certain antique prices in general are likely headed downwards as the younger generations either have less space or less interest in the items

Me too... I remember some of the ACL in stores during the 70s.. but most of my collection is from the 40s-50s... being a graphic artist I love these eras... love the advertising.
Most everything I collect is from these time periods... and I love the hunt and nothing beats the feeling of walking around that corner or entering a vendors booth and seeing the bottle
or item that is on your "want list"!
Just glad I can still find stuff at good prices... We still collect depression glass and I still pick up phones I can't help it.. they are so cool looking and the sound of the rotary... nothing like it.
Just wish the prices would have dropped when I started collecting! Ha

That Squeeze bottle in the first post lineup is awesome.... I have 2 vintage Squeeze 6-packs full of those and another filled with another embossed type... but that stippled is my favorite. Hard to find not all chipped or with returned/recycled rubbings all over them.

Canadacan

Reaction score
Pretty hard for me to add anything that has not already been said here. But today I had to snicker to myself as I paid $4 bucks for a really rare paper label quart, and a young lady at the cash register bought a Wishing Well bottle for $5bucks...not much has changed with some stuff in 30 years as with many bottles that's what I paid back when I started.
For me I see some of the in demand stuff has gone way up but there is always a bargain to be had too if you look hard enough! Most of my collection is pretty diverse but not too many bottles pre 1900 and goes right into 1980's. It's not just Deco bottles either, I like them all including the paper labels, then for the 50's -80's cans have become a big part of my collection as well as signs and any go withs.
Heck there is no way I could do just Deco or Acl's alone..it's just not enough for me, but it still does not end there because I love the research!....there is nothing more exciting then when you stumble upon that online newspaper clipping depicting the bottle your researching and the bottler...it's almost as good as getting the bottle or the sign itself!
To sum it up and I'm sure it was said in here somewhere, We'd be fools to place any long term value on these items we treasure, besides once we leave this earth no one gets to take it with them..lol
So just enjoy what we have in this wonderful forum of friends and like minded nut jobs!...after all we are collecting our fathers and grandfathers garbage!..lol….COLORFUL GARBAGE at that :)

20190103_002533.jpg

new2bottles

Reaction score
IMG_3358.jpg
Those are some fine bottles.
I'm delighted by so many new comments! And thank you for praising my collection. These are all brand new to me, arriving daily. So nice, unusual ones are readily available, and priced for buying.

GLASSHOPPER55

Reaction score
Wow! Lots of great comments by everyone, what a great thread! I agree with everyone - collect what you like, don't just be in it for the money. That's what I've always done with everything I've collected (bottles, old radios, toys, records, old pop and beer cans, etc).

Canadacan, love that collection especially those old pop cans! I thought I was the only one who does that, lol!

GLASSHOPPER55

Reaction score

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi