Senior Member Bottle Finder PlaneDiggerCam's Avatar

A new dump produces 1920s sodas on the surface and more!

Yesterday I had taken a trip to a friend of my dad's property to do some detecting. The property was part of of a farm dating to the 1700s and my dad's friend owned a 1860s farm house. After a while I grew tired of the metal detecting and decided to explore to see if I could find a dump. I followed a rock wall from the house and then I started to see a large piece of rusty metal in the corner of the rock wall. I got closer I started to see the bottles all sticking right out of the ground. At first it looked like all 1920s screw caps and blanks but when I kicked the leaves I got really excited. I looked down to see an art deco Black Rock Beverages and Julep just sticking out of the dirt. I kicked around more leaves and was very happy to find more early sodas that were just waiting to be pulled out. I also managed to find a cobalt poison on the surface! Since I was not expecting to dig I did not have anything with me and I had to use an old bucket to carry finds back with me. I will return to this spot to hopefully pull out some more goodies.

Here are the finds:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181230_114930.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	35.6 KB 
ID:	186390

5 Nutmeg soda bottles (New London, Conn.)

Name:	20181230_115029.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	44.3 KB 
ID:	186391

2 Rock Water Soda Co. Taftville, CT (A.L.B. in center of slugplate) and 2 King's Bottling Works Westerly, R.I.

Name:	20181230_115107.jpg 
Size:	44.5 KB 
ID:	186392

Black Rock Bottling Co. w/ fancy neck Westerly, R.I., Drink Black Rock Beverages art deco soda Westerly, R.I., Julep soda bottle.

Name:	20181230_115142.jpg 
Size:	37.1 KB 
ID:	186394

Cobalt 2 oz poison, Whiting Milk Companies Boston, Whittemore Boston shoe polish, and Man E Ta Cocoa Boston.

Thanks for reading,
    PlaneDiggerCam
    Last edited by PlaneDiggerCam; 12-30-2018 at 03:52 PM.

Member New Bottler
    Congrats, those are some nice bottles. It's amazing that you basically stumbled onto them like that - you make it seem too easy!

Embossed sodas are extremely rare finds around here. The few I do come across are usually broken.

Senior Member Bottle Master hemihampton's Avatar
    Nice Finds Congrats. LEON.

Senior Member Bottle Finder PlaneDiggerCam's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BottleDragon View Post
    Congrats, those are some nice bottles. It's amazing that you basically stumbled onto them like that - you make it seem too easy!

Embossed sodas are extremely rare finds around here. The few I do come across are usually broken.
    That usually is the case with the embossed sodas in the dumps I have found until now, most are broken. I also found a broken NuGrape from Westerly, R.I.

Senior Member Bottle Finder
    Nice treasures you found. Must have been a very fun and exciting day finding all those.

Senior Member Bottle Master
    1915 to 1940 . are now a favorite time period for me for digging sodas . unless there squats from the 1880s.

Senior Member Bottle Finder
    Those are some great finds and to think most of them are just on the surface. Hopefully when you get more time to explore you'll be ablet to find older stuff too. Great to find local bottles

Senior Member Bottle Master GLASSHOPPER55's Avatar
    COOL Findings, PlaneDigger!

And Sunrunner, AGREE! Never have enough Squat Sodas.
    "Digging Up the Past --- One Bottle at a Time, Since 1969"

You had a great day! I'd bet you find a few old coke bottles at some point.

Senior Member Bottle Master
    Great finds.... keep looking and keep us posted... love the embossed soda bottles... looks to be a good place... Here in Missouri there is so much lime in the ground near where I live the bottles would be
    so cloudy... those look so clean. Happy Hunting!