New Dump Site - a bit of everything

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

yacorie

Reaction score
Those are some nice sodas and beers. Hard to believe they were left, though perhaps they're common for that area. As mentioned, any damage, even a small chip will turn off many diggers unless it's a rare bottle.

Yeah, same here. I leave 90% of what I dig, and still take home too many. Then when I get home and start cleaning them I usually find a few more either damaged or just ones I regret taking. Those go back with me on my next trip.

That's still a nice selection of bottles. I typically always bring home any good canning jars and embossed medicines, even if they're common ones. Cobalt slicks I normally leave, because they're quite numerous around here. Milk glass, it just depends on whether I like the design, but there are so many different ones. Green bottles I also take because I don't come across very many at all.

Well thats probably true of a bunch of stuff we bring home. We bring home anything thats embossed or "looks cool" and then we figure out the deal once we rinse them off at home. There are certainly dings/cracks in some of the stuff we bring home. Also, some of the bottles that are new to us, might be common and we figure that out later. Anything with color we bring home usually There are a bunch of green bottles with no embossing that we leave there, but now that you mention it, we dont' find many green ones either.

yacorie

Reaction score
So my son and I decided to hit this dump again on New Years Day. This time we did a little bit of digging - but not too much. Still came home with 2 overflowing 5 gallon buckets of bottles. I'll admit, we keep things that others probably toss back beause they are chipped or cracked. If they're bad, we leave them but if its one we don't have or haven't seen - it comes home. We also throw "anything that looks cool" in the bucket.

here are pictures from the day. Not sure what the amber Pilgrim embossed bottle is and I can't seem to locate other examples of Portland Bottling Works Portland CT even though its very local to me. I can see from the directory that it was there but can't find much else, thought it might be because Portland Bottling from Oregon is all over the place when I search.

Hopefully people don't mind pictures

Picture 1 - atlas/ball jars
Picture 2 - 1/2 gallon Dazzle Amber, 3 Virginia Dare, 1 champagne
Picture 3 - some random 'cool bottle', one with a pilgrim that i can't ID and a readville Dry Gin
Pictures 4 and 5 - each side of the amber pilgrim bottle
Picture 6 - Large medicine bottle, unmarked amber bottle, Star water, Lydia Pinkham and Wayne Country Produce
Picture 7 - Pluto Water, RJ Ritter, Merrill's Saybrook CT, Granite Rock Water, Charter Oak Beverages Hartford CT
Picture 8 - 3 different Portland Bottling works Portland CT (I cannot find pictures of other bottles from here anywhere for some reason), Great Pacific Tea
Picture 9, 10, 11 - some random bottles/jars
Picture 12 - 1933 Chicago Worlds Fair Bottle - I need to get the lid off.

Attachments

• IMG_0915.jpg
    IMG_0915.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_0916.jpg
    IMG_0916.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_0917.jpg
    IMG_0917.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_0918.jpg
    IMG_0918.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_0919.jpg
    IMG_0919.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_0920.jpg
    IMG_0920.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_0921.jpg
    IMG_0921.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_0922.jpg
    IMG_0922.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_0923.jpg
    IMG_0923.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_0924.jpg
    IMG_0924.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_0925.jpg
    IMG_0925.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_0926.jpg
    IMG_0926.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 163

Len

CT LEN
Reaction score
Sounds like a dig spot you can go back to for a long time. Congrats. My wife used to say similiar things to me. Now she likes them too. Have you sold any over the last three years? If you haven't start and take her out to dinner. --Len

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hayden.Brown