New Dump Site - a bit of everything

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

yacorie

Reaction score
Found a new to me dump site that is clearly a spot people go to based on the holes I saw. I wasn't prepared to dig so all I did was walk around picking up bottles and jars that other people didn't want or were on the surface. I gave them all a quick clean but they need to be cleaned better. The ACLs I haven''t touched so they can dry - a recommedation I think I read on this site.

I'll admit, I don't know much about bottles so anything that looks cool or has some type of embossing always comes home with me, even if it ends up in the recycle bin later.

The nice thing about this spot was that there were a lot of local (connecticut) bottles. I tried to write down what they are for each of the pictures. I'll definitely be hitting this spot again.

Picture 1 - Wan-Eta Cocoa Boston jar, Atlas EZ Seal Jar, Presto Glass Top Jar, Trade mark Lightning Jar

Picture 2 - Atlas EZ Seal Jar, Safe Seal Jar, Drey Perfect Mason jar, random jar

Picture 3 - Random Blue Glass

Picture 4 - some milk glass and a green jar

Picture 5 - some medicines - screw tops mostly but embossed

Picture 6 - Star Water Miracle of the Wash Day bottle (found 3 of these), Virginia Dare Garrett & CO New York and St Louis (found 3 of these), Listerine, Odell's (barber tonic).

Picture 7 - Frommers (not sure what this is), Thames Clue Beverages Norwich CT, Charter Oak Bottline works Hartford CT, Portland Bottling Works Portland CT, 2nd Portland Bottle

Picture 8 - Hortons Pilsener Brewing New York, Tumble Brook Beverage Company Hartford CT, Granite Rock Spring, Curran & Joyce Co Inc

Picture 9 - CT Breweries Bridgeport CT, Hydrox Meriden CT, Bacon Bottling Company Hartford, CT

Picture 10 - 2 Fox Spring Beverages, Royal Crown, Red Cap Refresher R Germicide.

Attachments

• Jars 1.jpg
    Jars 1.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 326
  • Jars 2.jpg
    Jars 2.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 288
  • Random blues.jpg
    Random blues.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 272
  • random whites.jpg
    random whites.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 291
  • Medicines.jpg
    Medicines.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 327
  • Bottles 1.jpg
    Bottles 1.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 343
  • Bottles 2.jpg
    Bottles 2.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 285
  • Bottles 3.jpg
    Bottles 3.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 277
  • Bottles 4.jpg
    Bottles 4.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 297
  • Bottles 5.jpg
    Bottles 5.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 282

RelicRaker

Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]Nice ass[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ortment [/FONT][FONT=&quot]of canning jars. I'm n[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ot familiar w/ C[/FONT][FONT=&quot]onnecticut brands but ACLs are always c[/FONT][FONT=&quot]o[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ol[/FONT][FONT=&quot]. (I've f[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ound s[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ome [/FONT][FONT=&quot]obscure l[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ocal brands in my area.)[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]If y[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ou g[/FONT][FONT=&quot]o back with t[/FONT][FONT=&quot]o[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ols[/FONT][FONT=&quot], try and get a feel f[/FONT][FONT=&quot]or where the [/FONT][FONT=&quot]oldest part [/FONT][FONT=&quot]of the dump[/FONT][FONT=&quot] might be. Y[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ou n[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ever kn[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ow what's underf[/FONT][FONT=&quot]o[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ot. [/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot] HH[/FONT]

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Those are some nice finds, I'm surprised that other diggers would leave some of those behind. I wonder if there's a deeper layer of older stuff which people are digging down to and casting aside the 30s bottles, even the nicer ones. Or maybe it's people who don't take duplicates back with them.

yacorie

Reaction score
I'm not sure how old the deeper parts will be but I get a feeling thats why people were digging. This area of town goes back to the early 1800s so somewhere there must be a spot where they were dumping their trash, although it could be under another building at this point. I certainly plan to go back again and see what I can find. The only problem is I have so many bottles/jars the wife is starting to get annoyed with all the boxes and totes full of stuff.

RCO

Reaction score
that's a fair bit of bottles to come out of one dump , definitely wonder what else was down there . here they didn't seem to toss a lot of whole unbroken soda's , I'd be lucky to find a couple in a small dump site.
although more bottles seem to have been tossed in lakes here for some reason

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
that's a fair bit of bottles to come out of one dump , definitely wonder what else was down there . here they didn't seem to toss a lot of whole unbroken soda's , I'd be lucky to find a couple in a small dump site.
although more bottles seem to have been tossed in lakes here for some reason
City dumps and household dumps seem to differ sharply in that regard. If you could find a municipal dump, I bet you'd start finding some intact sodas. This one reminds me of a dump I dug for a bit years ago, it was packed with sodas in an area where sodas in the local dumps were very unusual.

WesternPA-collector

Reaction score
Someone left a nice variety of bottles behind. Their loss is your gain. I've noticed that sometimes bottles on the surface will get "protected" from breaking or damage if they are against a fallen tree or some other protective object on the ground. A fallen tree can also stop bottles from rolling down a hillside to their demise.

sunrunner

Reaction score
laving behind common or chipped bottles are always what happens in big dumps. if I dig up 100 bottles , I my only bring home 10 or 15 .

BottleDragon

Reaction score
Those are some nice sodas and beers. Hard to believe they were left, though perhaps they're common for that area. As mentioned, any damage, even a small chip will turn off many diggers unless it's a rare bottle.

laving behind common or chipped bottles are always what happens in big dumps. if I dig up 100 bottles , I my only bring home 10 or 15 .

Yeah, same here. I leave 90% of what I dig, and still take home too many. Then when I get home and start cleaning them I usually find a few more either damaged or just ones I regret taking. Those go back with me on my next trip.

That's still a nice selection of bottles. I typically always bring home any good canning jars and embossed medicines, even if they're common ones. Cobalt slicks I normally leave, because they're quite numerous around here. Milk glass, it just depends on whether I like the design, but there are so many different ones. Green bottles I also take because I don't come across very many at all.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi