Handblown open pontil no identifier glass pyramid shaped help :(

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

EmpressBelless

Reaction score
Hi,
I can't seem to find anything on this bottle, theres no company identifier, no glass bottle marking. Hard to describe. its irregular in shape. The seams on the corner touch to the bottom of the bottle but dont go around to meet. Not sure if i should call them seams I tried to capture that.
IMG_20190106_1755450.jpgIMG_20190106_1756193.jpgIMG_20190106_1756401.jpgIMG_20190106_1755311.jpgIMG_20190106_1755450.jpg

sandchip

Reaction score
...Not sure if i should call them seams...

Not entirely sure because you may have found this in an 1850s privy, but it doesn't look very old to me, but your comment does bring to mind something that we are all guilty of in the use of the word "seams" in bottle collecting. The word implies the joining of usually two pieces of fabric by sewing or two pieces of flat metal by welding. The term "mold lines" is more accurate but I still find myself using the word "seams". With that said, i am still amazed how many people have no clue how a bottle is made. I've had people say that you can see where they put the two halves of a bottle together as if the halves are molded, then stuck together. That misconception alone does a lot to explain the use of the word "seams", I guess. Forgive my rambling...

EmpressBelless

Reaction score
Well shoot, thought i had all the right stuff of something made before machinery.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
It's got the right stuff of being made with techniques that predate modern glass-making equipment, but those old techniques are still widely used for art glass or by glassblowing hobbyists.

saratogadriver

Reaction score
I'd say that's modern art glass. It's crude because it's made to look crude, probably is even hand blown. But it's no form from the 1850s era that I know of, it looks far too thick to be practical, and it just doesn't follow any pattern for glass of the 1800s. Just my two pennies of course...

Jim G

GLASSHOPPER55

Reaction score
I'd say that's modern art glass. It's crude because it's made to look crude, probably is even hand blown. But it's no form from the 1850s era that I know of, it looks far too thick to be practical, and it just doesn't follow any pattern for glass of the 1800s. Just my two pennies of course...

Jim G

I thought the same.

sunrunner

Reaction score
When I tuck my first couple of glass blowing class's , I made some thing similar . so yes people still make bottles the old fashion way.

saratogadriver

Reaction score
When I tuck my first couple of glass blowing class's , I made some thing similar . so yes people still make bottles the old fashion way.

Lucky dog! Glass blowing classes are on my bucket list... although my lack of artistic ability might make them a disaster...

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi