Kel - Ola , embossed soda bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RCO

Reaction score
found this on the weekend in a box of bottles in the basement of an antique store I had never been to before .

its not that often I see a bottle from a brand I've never seen before . so I figured I'd take it home as it had a neat look to it

from my limited research , its definitely Canadian . it seems " Kel - Ola " was based in Montreal in the 20's and 30's era . not sure if it was only sold in Quebec or if they also sold to Ontario

don't really know much about it , not sure how common or rare it might be . but I've never seen one before

not many markings on it , no date , just cont 6 1/2 fl oz and a consumer glass triangle on bottom

DSC01759.jpgDSC01760.jpg

RCO

Reaction score
few other things I found online when I searched for info about the company , a Kel Ola syrup dispenser and an old ad for the company

40838523_1_x.jpg26882196903_6712124cec_b.jpg

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Cool! I've never seen that one either. Not often I see a new brand from Canada either, especially a new Canadian deco design.
Also, check out that slogan on the bottle in the ad! I wonder who was the first one to use that...
If Rue de Chateaubriand is today's Avenue de Chateaubriand it must have been a tiny operation, Chateaubriand is basically an alley where some very small duplexes were built in what would have otherwise been backyards. Today the address is part of a schoolyard.

Edit: Actually I just realized Chateaubriand is a much larger street further north and the two aren't connected for some reason. I'm guessing this plant was located on the northern section. Still, it's a totally residential street so it was likely a small operation regardless.

Last edited:

RCO

Reaction score
Cool! I've never seen that one either. Not often I see a new brand from Canada either, especially a new Canadian deco design.
Also, check out that slogan on the bottle in the ad! I wonder who was the first one to use that...
If Rue de Chateaubriand is today's Avenue de Chateaubriand it must have been a tiny operation, Chateaubriand is basically an alley where some very small duplexes were built in what would have otherwise been backyards. Today the address is part of a schoolyard.

Edit: Actually I just realized Chateaubriand is a much larger street further north and the two aren't connected for some reason. I'm guessing this plant was located on the northern section. Still, it's a totally residential street so it was likely a small operation regardless.

never though to look up the street name , not at all familiar with Montreal but it would seem to have been a small operation , although that street could of been a lot different in the 20's and 30's , buildings torn down or built since

wondering if someone from the Quebec bottle site might know more about this one ? I don't have an account

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Looking up the street is something I almost always do if it's an unusual address. I'm quite certain the street hasn't changed character since the 1930s, the architecture along that area almost all dates to the 1910s and 20s. A lot of Montreal is quite static and has barely changed since it's development 100 years ago apart from the occasional building that burned down getting replaced.

RCO

Reaction score
Looking up the street is something I almost always do if it's an unusual address. I'm quite certain the street hasn't changed character since the 1930s, the architecture along that area almost all dates to the 1910s and 20s. A lot of Montreal is quite static and has barely changed since it's development 100 years ago apart from the occasional building that burned down getting replaced.

I've never been to that part of Montreal , it wouldn't of taken a big building back then to house a bottler

I'm wondering if anyone on the quebec bottle site has seen it before or knows more about it ? there is obviously many Montreal bottles I haven't seen yet but it they haven't seen it yet , then it might be more unusual

bottle-bud

Reaction score
Deja Vu RCO. Your Kel-ola bottle is very similar to my Smile bottle. I don't see vertical lines from the lip to the shoulder on Smile but the rest is almost exact. What do you think?
Something like the Fruit Squeeze vs. Big Ben. The Smile is also a 6 1/2 oz. Has a 5NO on the base. Makers mark?

P1020750.jpg

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora