One For The 'TEEM'

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Mr. Hemingray

Reaction score
Awesome collection! I remember drinking Teem when I was a kid. I was 13 when it was discontinued in 84'.

Canadacan

Reaction score
Great stuff here!..so I see they ran test marketing until a full release!
Up here in the north it was not released until 1960...earliest ad I could find was for May. Also the ads show the swirl bottle, but I don't think I've ever seen one?...just the quilted design.

SODABOB

Reaction score
I posted this newspaper article earlier, but this time I underlined three key factors. And because they are quotes from Herbert L. Barnet, I consider them reliable. If I were to look for a particular Teem bottle, I would try and find a seven ounce bottle from St. Joseph, Missouri. The only bummer is, according to iggy/Rich and the dozens of Teem bottles I've looked at, they are not marked with a city or state. But that doesn't mean that a 7 ounce Teem bottle with a 1959 date code doesn't exist. It just means that finding one could be a challenge. I'm hoping when Rich sees this he will clarify if his 7 ounce Teem bottle is dated 1959 or later - I'm a little confused about the dates of the comparison bottles he recently posted.

[ The Pittsburgh Post Gazette ~ Pennsylvania ~ March 24, 1959 ]

TEEM Pittsburgh_Post_Gazette_Penn_Tue__Mar_24__1959_ (5).jpg

SODABOB

Reaction score
P.S.

This is to clarify some observations I posted earlier ...

1955 = Possible date when Pepsi Cola started experimenting and developing Teem. But doubtful there are any bottles or other advertising from this time period.

1957 = Possible date when Pepsi Cola started "anonymous" taste testing for Teem. ( I'm still trying to find some evidence of this from 1957 and 1958 but nothing so far ). Doubtful there are any bottles from this time period.

SODABOB

Reaction score
Great stuff here!..so I see they ran test marketing until a full release!
Up here in the north it was not released until 1960...earliest ad I could find was for May. Also the ads show the swirl bottle, but I don't think I've ever seen one?...just the quilted design.

Cc

What (if anything) do you know about these Teem bottles and crate? The seller described them as ...

1. Being from Canada
2. 7 Ounce
3. Marked with a 1959 Trademark

TEEM Collection Canada Described as having a 1959 Trademark (2).jpg

TEEM Collection Canada Described as having a 1959 Trademark.jpg

iggyworf

Reaction score
I posted this newspaper article earlier, but this time I underlined three key factors. And because they are quotes from Herbert L. Barnet, I consider them reliable. If I were to look for a particular Teem bottle, I would try and find a seven ounce bottle from St. Joseph, Missouri. The only bummer is, according to iggy/Rich and the dozens of Teem bottles I've looked at, they are not marked with a city or state. But that doesn't mean that a 7 ounce Teem bottle with a 1959 date code doesn't exist. It just means that finding one could be a challenge. I'm hoping when Rich sees this he will clarify if his 7 ounce Teem bottle is dated 1959 or later - I'm a little confused about the dates of the comparison bottles he recently posted.

[ The Pittsburgh Post Gazette ~ Pennsylvania ~ March 24, 1959 ]

View attachment 186933

Yes both my 12 oz swirl and one 7 oz swirl are dated 1959. The 2 12 oz are Owens Illinois made in Illinois with a plant number of 7 and 9. My 7 oz I think is Glenshaw Glass, G inside a square with 59 after it. I have never seen(yet) a quilted Teem bottle earlier than 1960.

There is currently 2 Teem crates on ebay from Canada for sale.

Last edited:

SODABOB

Reaction score
Rich

Thanks

Did you check the lip of your Glenshaw bottle for an embossed letter or number? 1959 might be a little late for the lip codes, but it might be worth checking if you haven't already.

iggyworf

Reaction score
Rich

Thanks

Did you check the lip of your Glenshaw bottle for an embossed letter or number? 1959 might be a little late for the lip codes, but it might be worth checking if you haven't already.

Yep, did that right away. No lip codes so the 59 on the bottom is what I am going from.

SODABOB

Reaction score
Cool. And even though we will probably never know the location, the Glenshaw 59 seven ounce bottle is no doubt a first issue when Teem was introduced in 1959. I'm going to look around and see if I can find an explanation as to why they switched from the Swirl design to the Quilted design.

Regarding the so called 1957 signs, I'm having some doubts about them being genuine. There are just way too many of them available to my liking. I also found a bunch of Teem thermometers marked with Denasco that is a reproduction sign company who makes fake signs and other tin items. The so called 1957 signs are marked with M-C-A, which I plan to investigate and see what's what. I'm thinking they might be fakes as well or possibly that the 1957 isn't a date but something else. ???

SODABOB

Reaction score
My initial finding is that the 1957 on the Teem signs is a production number and not a date. The MCA stands for the Massillon Cleveland Akron sign company, that was located in Massillon, Ohio and established around 1904 and closed in 2014. In other words, the so called 1957 Teem signs are original but not produced in 1957, and were most likely produced in the 1960s.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fancy2cu