One For The 'TEEM'

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RCO

Reaction score
Very nice collection! That's not a brand I see often. That smooth one with the neck ACL is very weird, never seen any ACL like that before that I can remember. Do you think it was supposed to have a paper label as well? Seems like a very weird label placement on such a plain bottle otherwise.
Also RCO I quite like that can, I'm a sucker for 70s graphic design! I'd definitely clean that one up if it was mine.

I think a lot of the stuff on the back is just light dirt not rust , I should attempt to clean it one day . its just been sitting in the garage for a while . kept it as I hadn't seen a Teem can before and it had a neat design to it

when I first started collecting bottles I didn't even think to save cans even older ones , its only been in the last couple of years I save the neat ones I find

iggyworf

Reaction score
Very nice collection! That's not a brand I see often. That smooth one with the neck ACL is very weird, never seen any ACL like that before that I can remember. Do you think it was supposed to have a paper label as well? Seems like a very weird label placement on such a plain bottle otherwise.
Also RCO I quite like that can, I'm a sucker for 70s graphic design! I'd definitely clean that one up if it was mine.

I don't think the smooth ones ever came with PL on them. I have never seen one with them. The bottle I have is so clean without any glue residue of any sort. Not saying it couldn't have been cleaned off but I don't think so.

SODABOB

Reaction score
iggy/Rich

Cool collection!

In your opening comments you indicated that TEEM was introduced in 1960. But according to some patent information I saw, it was ...

First Used Anywhere = February 27, 1959
First Used in Commerce = March 2, 1959

Question: Have you ever seen a TEEM bottle that's dated 1959?

SODABOB

Reaction score
This is the earliest newspaper ad I have been able to find for TEEM ...

[ The Journal Times ~ Racine, Wisconsin ~ November 30, 1959 ]

It appears to be a "swirl-type" bottle and not a "diamond-type" bottle. So I'm inclined to think there are TEEM bottles with a 1959 date. But not sure about the Trademark references for February and March of 1959.

TEEM The_Journal_Times_Racine_Wisconsin_Mon__Nov_30__1959_ (2).jpg

TEEM The_Journal_Times_Racine_Wisconsin_Mon__Nov_30__1959_ (4).jpg

TEEM The_Journal_Times_Racine_Wisconsin_Mon__Nov_30__1959_ (3).jpg

Last edited:

SODABOB

Reaction score
Hey, Rich

Have you ever done a side-by-side comparison of a PEPSI swirl bottle and a TEEM swirl bottle? They look similar except the PEPSI bottle is clear and the TEEM bottle is green. I'm also curious if the mold style numbers on the base are the same or different? It could be they used the same molds for both bottles but just added a green color to the TEEM bottles.

Pepsi Mold and Bottle (345x500) (3).jpg

Teem Swirl Bottle Described as 1959.jpg

jblaylock

Reaction score
I'm assuming you would have to have the same manufacturer for both bottles to compare that. My Teem bottle is the quilted design which is identical to the patio bottle.

The markings on the bottom are nearly identical, minor differences.
b4a27a69aaeae741d225e5c273bb436c.jpg
54d00dfcae1745705d87dcac705fc7c3.jpg

Sent from my ONEPLUS 5 using Tapatalk

SODABOB

Reaction score
Josh

As you probably know, the G-18321 number on your bottles is the (same) mold "style" number - whereas the numbers below the makers mark are individual mold "cavity" numbers. In other words, they used the same type of mold for both bottles, but added a green color to the TEEM bottle. Mold "cavity" numbers vary quite a bit depending on how many molds were used on a particular automatic bottle machine. Typically the cavity numbers range between 1 and 20. They were used to let bottle inspectors know which cavity was the culprit if a problem developed during the forming process. If/when that occurred, they would either repair or replace that particular mold.

Last edited:

SODABOB

Reaction score
I dug a little deeper and found this from ...

[ The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette ~ Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania ~ March 24, 1959 ]

Notice where it says ...

1. Introducing in early April
2. Seven ounce emerald green bottles
3. Test marketed for two years in 20 cities

So does that mean there are 1957 and 1958 TEEM bottles out there somewhere? And what do they mean by "anomalously"

View attachment 186884

View attachment 186885

Attachments

• TEEM Pittsburgh_Post_Gazette_Penn_Tue__Mar_24__1959_ (3).jpg
    TEEM Pittsburgh_Post_Gazette_Penn_Tue__Mar_24__1959_ (3).jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 224
Last edited:

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members