Cassebeer New York swing top

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

4diggers

Reaction score
Hello, came across another puzzling bottle. This one is embossed CASSEBEER
NEW YORK

The bottle is the size of my old beer bottles, with a rusted swing top and porcelain cap. Bottom is embossed MBW MILLVILLE. Found with other bottles that we can date from late 19th c thru pre-prohibition.

I found information online relating to Cassebeer Chemists in NY and various found apothecary bottles, but nothing that resembles my bottle. Would appreciate any assistance in finding the bottl's story.

Thank you in advance

Attachments

• IMG_2426.jpg
    IMG_2426.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 275

treasurekidd

Reaction score
I was able to find a reference to an H.A. Cassebeer in New York listed in a 1916 pharmaceutical journal.

https://www.google.com/books/editio...SSEBEER+New+York&pg=PA496&printsec=frontcover

Also, there was another H A Cassebeer bottle listed as having sold on Worthpoint, but I don't have a membership there so I do not know what it sold for. This listing contains some more detailed history of the company:

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/cassebeer-york-si-antique-medicine-103440295

And another interesting historical link for this bottle is that a Mrs. Eleanor Cassebeer of New York, wife of Dr Henry Cassebeer, was a survivor of the Titanic. You may need to chase that down a bit more to verify that this was the same Cassebeer as your bottle, but it seems to fit. Nice bottle!

https://www.google.com/books/editio...ssebeer+new+york&pg=PT546&printsec=frontcover

Last edited:

4diggers

Reaction score
Thanks for that information, much appreciated!

We've come across the very interesting story of the former Ms. Eleanor Cassebeer. Fascinating how these bottles open up a trove of stories.

There are many pictures of Cassebeer embossed bottles on line, yet most appear to be medicine/apothecary bottles. Ours is the size and shape of most of our old beer bottles. While researching, we came across a product made by Cassebeer called coca-calisaya. We are wondering if our bottle once contained a tonic such as that?

Based on the markings on the bottom, we have determined the bottle was made by the Millville Bottling Works (NJ).

Found in downtown NYC with other bottles we have dated from very late 1800s thru 1920s...

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Nice find! I think that's a citrate of magnesia bottle, not a beer bottle. Citrate bottles used a lightning stopper as well, and were a bit more squat than standard beer bottles of the time, which yours appears to be also.

hemihampton

Reaction score
Nice find! I think that's a citrate of magnesia bottle, not a beer bottle. Citrate bottles used a lightning stopper as well, and were a bit more squat than standard beer bottles of the time, which yours appears to be also.

I'll agree with CanadianBottles. It sure looks alot like Citrate of Magnesia bottle, I have a few different ones, many with a similiar porcelin top enclosure. If it was a Beer good chance it would have the brewery name written on the top of Porcelin Stopper. Curious what else you found? Welcome to the site.LEON.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora