Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Senior Member Bottle Finder PlaneDiggerCam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Southeastern CT
    Posts
    175

    Found another dump. Definitely 1890s Possibly much older.

    While exploring over the weekend I discovered yet another bottle dump. I felt stupid becuase I had searched the entire area before, but I must have just missed it. This dump was on a hillside and there was metal and buckets everywhere. I kicked around some leaves and was happy to see some 1890s glass and crockery shards sticking out. Sadly, I didn't bring my gear with me and my phone battery was dying so I was not able to dig or take pictures. I will make another thread when I go back to take pictures and dig when the weather is warmer.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Bottle Master
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,641
    Sounds like that place has some great potential, looking forward to seeing what you find!

  3. #3
    Member New Bottler
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    71
    Quote Originally Posted by PlaneDiggerCam View Post
    While exploring over the weekend I discovered yet another bottle dump. I felt stupid becuase I had searched the entire area before, but I must have just missed it. This dump was on a hillside and there was metal and buckets everywhere. I kicked around some leaves and was happy to see some 1890s glass and crockery shards sticking out. Sadly, I didn't bring my gear with me and my phone battery was dying so I was not able to dig or take pictures. I will make another thread when I go back to take pictures and dig when the weather is warmer.
    nice job. I spent 2 days hiking all over my part of CT last week in the warm weather and found a few spots but they were all 1950s.

    Was a a great couple days to be in the woods.

    cant wait to see what you uncover

  4. #4
    Senior Member Bottle Master hemihampton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,869
    Quote Originally Posted by yacorie View Post
    nice job. I spent 2 days hiking all over my part of CT last week in the warm weather and found a few spots but they were all 1950s.

    Was a a great couple days to be in the woods.

    cant wait to see what you uncover

    Curious, Any old rusty dented Beer Cans in that 1950's Dump? I collect those. LEON.

  5. #5
    Member New Bottler
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    71
    I find old rusty beer cans, some spots more abundant than others. Are you talking about crown top bottles or the cans that were opened with a can opener? The ones using the can opener are what I find most often.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Bottle Master
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Ontario , Canada
    Posts
    2,592
    your digging in February in New England ? were in the middle of harsh winter weather here

  7. #7
    Senior Member Bottle Finder PlaneDiggerCam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Southeastern CT
    Posts
    175
    Quote Originally Posted by RCO View Post
    your digging in February in New England ? were in the middle of harsh winter weather here
    Personally, I only look for new dumps in the winter becuase there is less underbrush and they are easier to see. Sometimes I do a small exploratory hole to see what age the dump is. I usually wait until it gets warmer to start the real digging so I don't break bottles, especially very old ones.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Bottle Master hemihampton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,869
    Quote Originally Posted by yacorie View Post
    I find old rusty beer cans, some spots more abundant than others. Are you talking about crown top bottles or the cans that were opened with a can opener? The ones using the can opener are what I find most often.


    I Collect both the ones with crown top known as Cone Tops & the flats tops that were opened with a can opener known as Church Key. Some pics of some of mine below. LEON.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	altesfront1.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	64.0 KB 
ID:	187004Click image for larger version. 

Name:	altespyramid.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	95.7 KB 
ID:	187005
    Last edited by hemihampton; 02-13-2019 at 07:37 PM.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Bottle Master hemihampton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,869
    Quote Originally Posted by yacorie View Post
    I find old rusty beer cans, some spots more abundant than others. Are you talking about crown top bottles or the cans that were opened with a can opener? The ones using the can opener are what I find most often.

    Sorry for the hijack.Link to my old Beer Can Wanted Post. LEON. https://www.antique-bottles.net/show...NTED-BEER-CANS


    P.S. It's like 56 pages long, lots to read & info.


    Last edited by hemihampton; 02-13-2019 at 07:42 PM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •