I believe there's an old dump site on my land

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

WesR

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure a part of my property (just N. of Huntsville TX) sits on top of an older forest dumping sight. Here are a few items I have found in a washout that runs from my property into an adjacent creek. The shoe polish bottles were all together in one pocket along with stacks of unused rubber heels and stacks of decayed shoe soles, so I think these things might have came out of a shoe repair shop. The shape of the sunglass frames apear to be from the late 40s through 50s. The Western Union sign came up in a different area of the wash and I don't think that it was part of the shoe shop items although I may be wrong. I'm surprised that the Western Union wasn't totally rusted out because the ground is very wet here and it has obviously been buried for quite a while. I may need to break down and buy a metal detector :)

Attachments

• IMG_2176.jpg
    IMG_2176.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 259
  • IMG_2177.jpg
    IMG_2177.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 262
  • IMG_2178.jpg
    IMG_2178.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 237

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
That sign is fantastic! It looks like it's an enamel sign, would explain why it didn't rust, enamel doesn't rust if it remains intact. I'd be concentrating my searching in the area you found that sign, they often show up in groups. I've only ever found one of those intact and nowhere near as nice as yours. And if you didn't already know they're quite valuable! I really like those retro sunglasses as well, shame they aren't in slightly better condition because they look like they're almost wearable.

WesR

Reaction score
Thanks. My property is at the very end of an old dirt road (now paved) that dead ends at a creek. In speaking with a neighbor who has lived in the area for a while, he confirmed that this property used to be a sort of dumping area since it was as far you could go on this road. He said that he found some steel wheels off of a pre 1930s tractor out here. I'm going to keep poking around and will post what I find.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Ah yes that's the perfect spot for finding old dumps then. Definitely keep poking around, you never know what you might find there!

RCO

Reaction score
if you found a large concentration of shoe related items , it sounds like someone may have dumped them there illegally at some point , none of those bottles are really worth anything but certainly an indication of dumping taking place

I'd keep poking around , often stuff gets hidden under leaves or dirt , especially if its been there for a while

sunrunner

Reaction score
your looking at late 1940s to mid 1950s . I am 68 , and can remember those kiawe and esquire shoe polish bottle when I was a kid. and those cat eye sun glasses are a dead giveaway . there may be some Dr. Peppers and coke's around .

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora