Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Messy mold seams

The more I try to research this bottle, the more confused I get. Im such a novice! Are crooked mold seams common? These appear to be across the diagonal of the bottle and disappear near the bottom third. Plus I cant tell if thats a C or a G after the P in the makers mark. Is anyone familiar with this mark? Trying to get an idea of the age & manufacturer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FFB70625-DDE6-43E6-8F8F-12BE64AD3AF7.jpg   86EA275F-B75E-4EBC-8EA3-0CC6427C9916.jpg   4115F208-1414-49F0-B7A2-67B3DE684DBC.jpg   12095968-60ED-4163-A2E3-BA26545521B2.jpg  

Senior Member Bottle Master Screwtop's Avatar
    That's messed up.
    In all my perplexity's and distresses, the Bible has never failed to give me light and strength.
    - Robert E. Lee

Senior Member Bottle Master
    No that definitely isn't common, I've never seen a bottle with a mold seam as weird as that. Not sure what would cause it.

Senior Member Bottle Finder
    I'm wondering if the mold they used wasn't cracked when they made the bottle? Everything else about it looks normal.

Senior Member Bottle Master sandchip's Avatar
    You'll see it pretty regularly in early ABM bottles. It's a result of the fact that they are blown into two molds, the first being upside down, undersized and in the shape of a long truncated cone (also why you sometimes see an irregular circle or oval line on the base), in order to give the parison some degree of uniformity, sort of a preform mold. The parison is then removed from that mold, being held by the top (resulting in that seam below the lip) flipped over and inserted into the full-size mold where final blowing is completed. That crooked mold line is from the first mold, as a result of there having been some degree of rotation in moving from the first to the second mold. Hope this makes sense and helps.

Thank you Sandchip, that makes sense! Meanwhile, I was finally able to see a very faint “I” in front of the “P” in the maker’s mark. The next letter I decided is a “G” rather than a “C”. That makes this an Illinois-Pacific Glass Company Bottle. 1902-1926. Does the characteristic you mentioned help narrow the dating down any closer than this?

Senior Member Bottle Master hemihampton's Avatar
    It does possibly look like a ABM bottle like sandchip mentioned, that would put it in the time frame you just mentioned. LEON.

It's an early ABM piece. If I had to guess, I'd say around 1910.

Senior Member Bottle Finder
    Quote Originally Posted by sandchip View Post
    You'll see it pretty regularly in early ABM bottles. It's a result of the fact that they are blown into two molds, the first being upside down, undersized and in the shape of a long truncated cone (also why you sometimes see an irregular circle or oval line on the base), in order to give the parison some degree of uniformity, sort of a preform mold. The parison is then removed from that mold, being held by the top (resulting in that seam below the lip) flipped over and inserted into the full-size mold where final blowing is completed. That crooked mold line is from the first mold, as a result of there having been some degree of rotation in moving from the first to the second mold. Hope this makes sense and helps.
    I just wanted to compliment you on that answer--very insightful!

Quote Originally Posted by willong View Post
    I just wanted to compliment you on that answer--very insightful!
    Thank you.