Cuticura Resolvent is this a rare find?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
No, my point isn't about whiteboards. They weren't using whiteboard ink on bottles. My point is about how some types of non-water soluble ink - not just whiteboard ink - can stay intact when separated from its backing. I don't think that the ink on this label would literally float up and away when dipped in water, but I think that it's thick enough that it could stay intact through a slow decomposition process. That seems more likely to me than there being a whole previously undiscovered history of pre-ACL painted labels which no one has discovered in 50 years of bottle digging.

Beshires1

Reaction score
Whats wrong with thinking that the ink, paint, media or what ever WAS actually put on the bottle this way? I find it easier to see it as it is instead of , instead of trying to see some hocus - pocus that might, possibly could have caused a effect that is obviously a long shot. Could the disintegrating paper have happened? Possibly but the chances are a billion to one and now there are three people who say they have seen this effect. Isn't it not possible that two saw and possessed a bottle like this, and didn't know what they were looking at! And as for fifty years of bottle digging....... Have you ever seen any digger not rub a newly found bottle? Or wash it off with water at the dig site? or do they all carry unidentified bottles caked in mud home and begin a painstaking slow cleaning process, to determine what they have found? I think a lot of diggers have found bottles like this only to destroy the delicate ink only labels. Medicines were not returnable there fore a painted on glass only had to withstand one owner and was thrown away. ACLs sodas were returnable and had to have a more durable ink, one acl bottle might last 5 years or more, but they had a hard life......

Beshires1

Reaction score
So much for 1930's sodas being first painted labels...

Here is a wonderful C 1800 Dutch or German blown glass kuttrolf decanter, blown by the German half-post method (a double gather of glass for strength) with its original painted label nearly 100% intact! Has large “sand” type pontil scar on base. painted label.jpg

hemihampton

Reaction score
I can't explain the reason for it but still think it was once a paper label. the ones I found had no paper either, but seemed to be more like the ink left behind like Canadian bottles said. LEON.

hemihampton

Reaction score
Looking at that bottle & blowing up pic or super sizing it, it looks way to new to be 1850's-60's. Likely reproduction made to look old. Like we never seen that before? LEON.

painted label.jpg

Last edited:

hemihampton

Reaction score
Here's the only pic of one of those bottles with the paper label. Stroh's Beer Bottle broken shard from around 1900. No paper on bottle just kind of a imprint of Label on bottle. LEON.

StrohsPaperLabel.jpg

Beshires1

Reaction score
Good photo Leon! This shard is how I see a paper label loosing the paper and leaving some ink intact. A lot of the ink would have to go.... along with the paper. Just sayin the ink left behind will suffer loss of details and fading. I think this is the original label for your shard piece. And notice on your shard where the B is practically touching the red insigna its practically under it and the S and t in strohs is touching evident of label shifting.Strohs-Bohemian-Beer-Labels-The-Stroh-Brewery-Co-Post-Prohibition-_23679-1.jpg

Last edited:

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora