Cuticura Resolvent is this a rare find?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Beshires1

Reaction score
I know that the bottle is slightly common but. When I dug this bottle , As I rubbed the sides to feel for embossing I noticed that I rubbed off some color. I immediately stopped rubbing and wrapped and placed it in my bag. I used a light flow of water from the faucet and one of my wife's powder puffs to carefully clean what I thought was a paper label. only to find it wasn't a paper label. It is in fact a label printed directly on the glass. I used clear nail polish to stabilize the printing as it would come off if touched. Any way I cannot find any instance of this bottle on the internet having a printed label - - like a acl soda bottle. The dump site where I found this is predominantly 1900 to early 1930s. 20190303_171201.jpg 20190303_171217.jpg20190303_171819.jpg20190303_171234.jpg20190303_171429.jpg

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
That label is interesting, I don't think I've ever seen paint applied directly to the glass on a medicine of that era. I've seen some old paper labels that looked pretty thin after being buried but that really doesn't look like there's any paper there.

hemihampton

Reaction score
I think it's a paper label, I've dug many 100+ year old beer bottles that had the same funny looking paper labels. All due to it's 100 years of being buried producing those odd results. In my Opinion. LEON.

Beshires1

Reaction score
Under magnification I can't see any remnants of any paper at all.20190304_195806 - Copy.jpg20190304_195906 - Copy.jpg20190304_195935 - Copy.jpg20190304_200004.jpgI would find it hard to believe that the paper could have somehow desintigrated but left the ink pretty much intact on the glass.

Last edited:

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Now that Leon mentions it, I think I may have once had a bottle with a similar label which had the paper disintegrate but the ink remain. I can see how the ink could have remained if the paper disintegrated very slowly and the ink was not biodegradable, resulting in it fusing onto the glass. It looks exactly identical to the paper label, I think if they were experimenting with some sort of painted label they would change the design somewhat.

Beshires1

Reaction score
I think a lot of bottle diggers have probably wiped off a lot of labels just as I started doing with this one. Seriously I can't imagine a ink printed label on paper somehow allowing the paper to slip from under the ink, without distorting the graphics. This bottle is over one hundred years old and has spent most of that time buried in moist and at times saturated soil. Paper mildews and the ink will be lost. This label has to its credit all of its fine details still stuck in position on the glass. And as you can see there isn't any blurring of the label only scratch off of the ink , paint or what ever was used to print the graphics on the glass. I do not believe the graphics to have used glass powder. ACLs that loose their graphics color will leave a ghosting on the glass, this bottle has none. I just think this label was printed like a tobacco tin of its day it may have help pave the way for the younger soda ACLs. You recon they started using glass powder that was baked on to last on soda bottles in 1935 , outta the blue? Or developed this from existing examples............

Beshires1

Reaction score
Cool video! But the problem with this theory is that invented as far back as the late 1950s, whiteboards did not become very popular until after the invention of dry erasable marker, aka whiteboard marker, in 1975. It was developed to release from non porous material - Glass or whiteboards. Certainly not paper. The labels on a product would have been developed to stay on the product when handled or touched.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi