Need help identifying this bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

hemihampton

Reaction score
Wouldn't 1857-65 put it in the Pontil time frame?LEON.

Bottledigger52

Reaction score
Those crude sharp snap case molds like this one were around in 1850 on from what I was told not sure if that is true but what I was told at a bottle show before this one is very crude.

David Fertig

Reaction score
I believe these come in OP also. And I do not believe them to be rare. In smooth base, I am going to guess in the $20 range since it is so clean. York Co. has a couple hard core guys that will spend $$$ if they don't have it or to keep someone else from getting it (not sure which!) and I have seen small clear meds from there bring a few hundred $.

sandchip

Reaction score
Wouldn't 1857-65 put it in the Pontil time frame?LEON.

1857 is generally accepted as the time that the use of pontil rods in utilitarian bottle production started fading out, while some just round it off to 1860. There's no hard and fast instant of change from pontils to snaps, because some gaffers were gonna continue to use the pontil come hell or high water, much like folks who still prefer using flip phones even though smart phones have been out for years. I was still lettering signs with a brush 10 years following the advent of computer cut vinyl. There always has been and always will be resistance to change in technology held by old goats like myself.

Another thing to consider, although not applicable to the bottle in this thread, is that the very shape of some bottles precluded the use of a snap, so the pontil continued on in use out of necessity.

Last edited:

GLASSHOPPER55

Reaction score
Yes. I have read somewhere that a few bottlers were still making Hutches into the early 20s because they either couldn't afford to change or just used what equipment they already had. And include me in the group that still uses a flip-phone. Smart phones are TOO smart in my opinion.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi