Thread: Tonic Vermifuge

Senior Member Bottle Master Screwtop's Avatar

Tonic Vermifuge

I found this in a christian mission store that is run on donations. Underneath some 1980s stereos, old books and questionable clothing, I found this aqua bottle. It is Dr. D. Jayne's Tonic Vermifuge, 242 Chest. St. Phila. I know this was supposed to cure worms or something, but what was in it? How old do y'all think it is?

I'll try to take more pictures tomorrow.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_1095.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	36.1 KB 
ID:	187272
    In all my perplexity's and distresses, the Bible has never failed to give me light and strength.
    - Robert E. Lee

Senior Member Bottle Master sandchip's Avatar
    Hard to tell, but it looks early machine made, dating to early 1900s. A vermifuge was supposed to get rid of worms. Jayne was in business a long time with a lot of pontiled examples out there. Nice find.

Senior Member Bottle Master
    Weird lip. We'd need to see the mold seam on the side but my guess is the same as Sandchip... machine made.

Jim G

Senior Member Bottle Master Screwtop's Avatar
    I will be incredibly busy, and I will be out of town. I will post more pics then.
    In all my perplexity's and distresses, the Bible has never failed to give me light and strength.
    - Robert E. Lee

Senior Member Bottle Master
    Sandchip is correct, it is early ABM, probably circa 1915 give or take 5 years. There might be a trademark on the base that could help narrow the age.