Digging in Open Fields

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

zombiekiller75

Reaction score
Just was wounding on how anyone goes about digging in a empty lot that once had a house site, like in the pic I posted as a reference. Been looking at a few Sanborn maps around my area that I would like to probe around to dig.
question.jpg

nhpharm

Reaction score
Figure out the old lot lines (using references from adjoining blocks), use the Sanborn maps for reference, and probe probe probe! Privies and trash pits tend to be along the sides and back of the lots. Cisterns in the center.

hemihampton

Reaction score
How old is that Sanborn? That looks like a good spot. if you can figure out where the old property lines were, here in Detroit they usually have a old fence or line of trees along property line, when you got a big open area it can be harder to find them. alot more probing. I always start in back corners & work my way across the back property line & then up the sides. After that if nothing just start probing in a line every few feet starting from back. Good Luck. LEON.

zombiekiller75

Reaction score
It's from 1918. I drove past this area and some others in the same neighborhood. In one of lots that i posted, there is a fence and the rest of the lots you can see the old driveways. When I have some free time i'll go bye and check it out more and do like what ya said. But my other question is there's no problem just going to a random lot like this to start probing and digging? There's no signs or anything I saw.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
There certainly could be a problem if the property owner doesn't want you digging on it. Your best bet would be to contact the owner to get permission, though finding out who owns it can be tough and if it's a development company or something you're probably out of luck. I've always wanted to try digging a privy but I'm not into the idea of cold-calling property owners for permission.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi