U.S.A. Hosp. Dept.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Gunsmoke

Reaction score
Hi all. Long time member with a different username. Used to be Gunsmoke47 before I got locked out and couldn't figure out how to get back in under the same username. I used to dig my bottles years ago before my back blew out but I still love old glass. Now I just buy them when I can and I have narrowed my collection down to the U.S.A. Hosp. Dept bottles. I love these bottles because of their history. I own 26 of these historical bottles 12 of which I was lucky enough to dig so many years ago. When I first dug these, I had no clue what they were. I thought the USA was for United States of America! lol! That was in 2003 I believe. There are so many more bottles out there that are more valuable and prettier and older and rarer, but these bottles will rival any in history. I'm very proud of my collection and will continue to expand on it until I die to which end I'm sure my grandchildren will sell them all and say thank you VERY much Grandad! lol! Whatever.... We never really own these bottles do we? We are just keepers of the glass until someone else takes over for us. Thought I would post a few of the more scarce ones and hope yall enjoy. The color is what makes this one fairly rare

Attachments

• U.S.A. Hosp. Dept. 9.jpg
    U.S.A. Hosp. Dept. 9.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 260

Gunsmoke

Reaction score
I would call this a Strawberry puce, but it was hard to capture the color.

Screwtop

Reaction score
That is an awesome example! I bought my first U.S.A Hosp. Dept. bottle a week or two ago. Not as nice as yours though.

Gunsmoke

Reaction score
Thanks Screwtop. Here's another one. Aqua is the most common other than clear but what makes this one special is it has an iron pontil base. This is the only U.S.A. Hosp. Dept bottle to have a pontil mark of any kind. I should say this is NOT a one of a kind bottle, this is just the only TYPE that has a pontil mark which makes this bottle very scarce.

Gunsmoke

Reaction score
Well I guess I'm doing something wrong on the picture thing. Will work on it.

Screwtop

Reaction score
That is excellent! I love the Civil War, and especially the bottles that came from that era. Is it okay to show mine?

Screwtop

Reaction score
DSC_1104.jpg

This is my bottle. It isn't much, but I love it! It matches the criteria for a war-time production bottle from Baltimore. I'm just glad to have a war bottle. I have always loved Civil War bottles, but this is my first. Civil War bottles are very expensive.

Gunsmoke

Reaction score
That's a Great bottle screwtop! But be careful because once the Hosp. Dept bug bites, it's hard to stop! lol. These bottles do exude Civil War history because those 4 years were the only time these bottles were made. The bottles were then shipped out West to the Indian Wars forts and so you have a low survival rate. That is why these bottles can be fairly pricey. U.S.A. Hosp. Dept. 1.jpg
This is a little bigger pic of my avitar. I was lucky enough to dig this pint with the original stopper still in it.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi