1st good find of the year!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

coldwater diver

Reaction score
Never found a bottle with Roman Numerals MDCCCLXX, it translates into 1870.
Found diving last week. Very fancy bottle w lots of embossing. It reads
"The Great American Genuine Florida Water Prepared By Professor G.J.Byrne
New York Patented MDCCCLXX.

Attachments

• wama.jpg
    wama.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 326
  • wama1.jpg
    wama1.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 314
  • wama2.jpg
    wama2.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 318

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Very cool! That's a much nicer bottle than the standard Florida Waters. Looks like it was either a very expensive product, or pretending to be. I think the base is supposed to mimic the base to a crystal decanter, never seen that done on a bottle of that era before.

Gunsmoke

Reaction score
That's a very cool bottle! I agree with Canadian bottles. Most are much more plain. It's in great shape too. Freshwater dive?

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Thanks for your comments, I found a link in Peachridge Glass about the same Professor Byrne who made some very fancy bitters bottles.
I will have to go back and see if I can find one.
https://www.peachridgeglass.com/201...and-landsberg-some-highly-decorative-bottles/

Those are some real beauties! I'd love to find one of those. The thing I was most surprised to see on that page is the one with the porcelain stopper from Amanda Miller of Germantown PA. Weirdest coincidence, I actually have one of Amanda Miller's bottles with that same stopper! It's a standard Philly blob though, so I wonder if the stopper was actually used on the bitters. I know bottles would sometimes be reused by different bottlers later in life but that's a pretty unusual one to be reused by a brewer who must have had access to plenty of other more conventional beer bottles.

coldwater diver

Reaction score
Canada, anything is possible our ancestors were for the most part frugal and practical.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi