Wide Based Greenish Hued Bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

fishguy

Reaction score
Does anyone know what this bottle is? It's 7 inches tall and from a mostly 30's and 40's site. Thanks. IMG_5585.jpgIMG_5588.jpgIMG_5592.jpg

Akinard

Reaction score
Is that a P inside a circle on the right and a 3 on the left? Is there anything else?

fishguy

Reaction score
Yes to both of those, and reads "3 FL OZ" on the heel.

Akinard

Reaction score
So, here's what I know. The bottle was produced by the Pierce Glass Company. They only operated one factory at a time, the last one being in Port Allegany, Pennsylvania from 1917 to 1987, when they were bought out by another company and ceased use of their trademark "P inside a circle". Since they only operated out of one factory, the 3 is not intended to identify its origin.

Here's what I think. The shape of the bottle, and the fluting around the bottom, makes me think condiment, not medicine or liquor. The small size rules out major sauces like ketchup and mustard, so I'm leaning toward hot sauce or some kind of other strong sauce. Pierce would also make custom bottles on request, so it's possible that you'll never find its exact original use, but not certain.

fishguy

Reaction score
Thank you, makes sense to me. I was thinking hot sauce also due to the opening but the greenish color threw me.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Yeah hot sauce is a likely option, or flavouring extract. People used a lot of flavouring extract back in those days.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi