Fence insulator?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Lori Lyons

Reaction score
Found this this evening, digging my grandparents old fence row acrossthe road from me. They threw bottles there, but this was in the mix. Marked with a capitol p only.
What is it? Who made it? Help... IMG_20190425_200224_726.jpgIMG_20190425_200242_862.jpgIMG_20190425_200254_290.jpg]

sandchip

Reaction score
I dunno, Lori. Fence insulator sounds as good as anything, 'cause I've never seen one like that. Two-piece, right?

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
I've never seen one like that either. Some sort of insulator for sure. I'm struggling to visualize what scenario one of these would be used in. Looks like it was designed to clamp around some sort of post but that would have to be a very specific size for it to work.

Lori Lyons

Reaction score
Yep two piece. A twisted wire around the middle and twisted on itself at the outside edge. My husband was an electrical lineman for county utility. He said didnt look lije fence related...more "communication" type stuff. He said my folks prob wouldnt have used electric fence till 1960 or so. Couldnt afford in our area. In 1930's, folks used to let the milk cow roam. Hence the bell. So telephone? Or ???

shotdwn

Reaction score
That type of insulator was used a lot by the forestry deptartment to run communication lines to fire towers. The wire that runs around it was longer and the insulator was attached to the tree by the wire. The communication wire was run through the center hole in the insulator. This way they could leave slack in the line so the movement of the trees or a limb falling on the wire would not break the wire. They probably were used in other applications also.

Lori Lyons

Reaction score
Gotcha. Sounds about right cause there is a fire tower about a mile from here...or was in the "old" days. I was wrong on makers mark too. Its a "P." Thank you so much for the help. Also, knowing how things worked back in the day, probably taken down by forestry, then my family used it for eunning fence along the tree line where i found it.

Lori Lyons

Reaction score
Thanks guys and gals. Looks just like it. Any ideas on maker?

Lori Lyons

Reaction score
Been researching.....can not find anything on maker. Found a "yellow" one marked with an "F". Findlay co. and same style except color.
Any ideas?

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora